No announcement yet.

Heated fuel tank ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why dont you just spray the outside of the tank with some insulating foam.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

In the absence of a heat source, it will still get as cold as if the foam wasn't there - though once warmed, will stay warm longer.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
        In the absence of a heat source, it will still get as cold as if the foam wasn't there - though once warmed, will stay warm longer.
        I knew there would be a logical explanation as to why that wouldnt work.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by smiffy View Post
          Got a 100ltr Aux tank for veg oil,placed where some underslung wheels go. I'm worried about the oil thickening up while it sits in the tank. I use,SVO,WVO and gonna try some Bio.

I'm wondering if there is an easy way to heat the tank to thin the oil before i set out on my journeys. Was thinking of some kind element fitted externally,underneath the tank. Can be mains voltage is i've got outdoor sockets.
          Also read somewhere about 'heating pads' that are used in bitter cold climates of Canada/USA. Anyone know where to get these in UK?

Cheers.
          Have ya read ma post 66/67 on here Fraser http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55767 it may help ( iv'e had no probs with the last cold spell -10

Jess
          "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Why not use a bathroom mirror pad? They come in both 12v or 240v, and some quite big sizes.
            Can't remember if the last one i fitted came from either CEF or Plumbcenter. But i'm sure google will turn up plenty!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jools T View Post
              Why not use a bathroom mirror pad? They come in both 12v or 240v, and some quite big sizes.
              Can't remember if the last one i fitted came from either CEF or Plumbcenter. But i'm sure google will turn up plenty!!

See post 4.

Comment

See post 7.

They're designed to warm very slightly to bring the mirror above ambient so condensation doesn't form - not to supply the significant heat required to warm veg oil.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I've heard of people in Canada leaving a 100 watt inspection lamp under their sump in freezing conditions to keep the engine warm. Might work on the veg oil too ? I know my 100 watt halogen light from B&Q kicks out a lot of heat.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                    The unleaded will help mate.

You could get away with 10ltrs in that 100ltr mix
                    A Word of Caution: Never add gasoline or alcohol to diesel fuel to help with cold weather operation. The practice creates an explosion danger and will damage the fuel injection system.

Taken from this.
                    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

UK based tank heaters.
                      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                        A Word of Caution: Never add gasoline or alcohol to diesel fuel to help with cold weather operation. The practice creates an explosion danger and will damage the fuel injection system.

Taken from this.
                        Well you know how long I ran WVO mixed with unleaded. Maybe you should have informed me I was driving a bomb, or were you after garage contents for your own cunning plan.

Reads like adding is bad, however, pre mix is okay.
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                          Well you know how long I ran WVO mixed with unleaded. Maybe you should have informed me I was driving a bomb, or were you after garage contents for your own cunning plan.

Reads like adding is bad, however, pre mix is okay.
                          Aye, it would seem a good sudden glug of petrol might be bad.
                          Alan

Comment

I made one from 15mm copper to go inside the tank which runs coolant through to help warm the oil, prob is your coolant has to get hot first, the other one on the chassi rail heats the oil on it's way to the IP, to preheat the oil you could rig a couple of glow plugs and a pump to warm it but ya'd need some decent batterys, still reccon a heated (glow plug) swirl tank near the IP with the diesel return piped back to it would be a better start up from cold optionm
                            Attached Files
                            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Some bits here http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_winter.html

Comment

Working...
                              X