First playday today - 4x4 without a club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First playday today - 4x4 without a club

I attended a pay n play day today, hosted by the 4x4 without a club guys in aldermaston nr reading

had a really good day, well impressed with what the truck can cope with and even more so the course there..

nicely laid out, plenty of tracks to suit all levels, loads of space - it was busy but was never really an issue

my mate managed to break his truck within 10 mins of being there -had to be rescued by a series of land rovers which made it even worse...

his front wishbones seemed to have collapsed, i was riding shotgun at the time just having a reccie round the site..

the organisers all rallied round, made a few bodged repairs and managed to get it back on all 4 wheels an drag him out - then we sorted a low loader and took him off to Tony N to sort

what a great organisations - even tho we did get banter about 'jap crap' etc

i went up a steep incline to be met with a steep drop the other side, had tehtruck balanced on the rear left and front right rocking in the air - quite a scarey feeling - then bang - something went pop - so that ended my days fun..

got it home and popped up on the ramps and had a look underneath - turns out i had only snapped the rear anti roll bar clamp.. so not too bad..

anyway - here's a couple of pics

the rescue

and then back home

really like this pic...

more here pics

now i know this isnt much compared to what soem of you guys have do/done but this was my first pay day and i thoroughly enjoyed it

next up - lift!!!!
    Last edited by lawsy; 12 December 2010, 22:10.

Looks a good place to play and not too messy

Cheers, Nick
    "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nick V View Post
      Looks a good place to play and not too messy

Cheers, Nick

i'd have liked to have had the balls to tried some more of the bigger obstacles, but was more of a learning curve for me and my mate

next play day is boxing day, then 9th jan

was some really huge mental obstacles there as well

here's a link to someone elses pics from today..

http://www.freewebs.com/dudleydo/apps/photos/

Comment

Looks like a fun place, thinking of having a go myself one of these days.

Comment

that looks ace mate, i love gettin muddy now, never into ever before, got a Surf, and now addicted to it!
          www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Who's being recovered in the first picture, and what from?
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Looks like a good day.

Nice pics on that link, I'm looking at them then looking out of the window at my truck that has been polished almost to excess today!!

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_D View Post
                Looks like a good day.

Nice pics on that link, I'm looking at them then looking out of the window at my truck that has been polished almost to excess today!!

Ben
                hahah! i'm the same Ben, love getting muddy, but think it's just cos i know i'll be t-cutting, claying, polishing and waxing the day after!!!
                www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by lawsy View Post
                  i'd have liked to have had the balls to tried some more of the bigger obstacles, but was more of a learning curve for me and my mate

next play day is boxing day, then 9th jan

was some really huge mental obstacles there as well

here's a link to someone elses pics from today..

http://www.freewebs.com/dudleydo/apps/photos/
                  Don't mind the obstacles and a bit of mud, just don't want to be in mud and water so deep it gets everywhere in the truck - it's my daily runner afterall!

Cheers, Nick
                  "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    Who's being recovered in the first picture, and what from?

That'll be the 2.4 I got delivered to the workshop this evening.

It came off the trailer with the front drive shaft hanging out and the hub ratchet strapped to the upper wishbone.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Oh dear, balljoint?

How did they get it out of the tree?

Comment

yeah, I think the upper balljoint broke, it must have been really worn, or seized and broke off.

havn't really looked at it yet, we dumped it in shop and left... LOL.

I wasn't there, don't know how they recovered it but they did a good job of strapping back together. Just got a phone call from Lawsy asking if I wanted a job next week....

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                          they did a good job of strapping back together.
                          You should post a couple of pics if the field repair, give us pointers; just in case!

Comment

Sadly gents. we didnt get any pics of strapping ti back together

scene was, it was both our first times at an event, we decided to have a quick reccie in one truck, so jumped in Tims (he's only had it 2 weeks and not joined up yet) got half way down the first run and heard knock knock knock bang nothing

front left collapsed straight into a deep muddy puddle..

the landy guys came to the rescue (shame)

we hooked up the chain around the tree for an anchor, then winched up and back down to tims truck

lifted, got the wheel off and tried to see what had happened - I'm not very technical minded, but the landy guys were brilliant - they quickly sussed what had gone and after wading/kneeling in the mud they got it together, wrapped a ratchet strap round everything to lock it all back in place - que the phone call to Tony
                            put the wheel back on and it held, they then got one fo their series 1 landy's with a cummins 3.5 diesel in and pulled him from the mud, then another disco towed him out..

Tim was very high spirited about it, as he'd been driving 100 miles to work every day this week into the new forest, so was pleased it happened in a safe environment rather than on the motorway..

Comment

here's another pic that tims just sent me

Comment

Working...
                              X