snorkel alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snorkel alternative

I was thinking about making a snokel but personally not to keen on the appearance of them! Would it be possible to make an internal breather pipe that comes through the bulkhead??? I recently removed the air con so could poss send the hosing in that way??? Not sure if there would be health/ safety/ mot or legal issues if I was to cut the bulkhead etc? Any suggestions? If we come up with some good ideas iand I go ahead with it I will post it all up here. Cheers

Noise.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by tomtrux View Post
      I was thinking about making a snokel but personally not to keen on the appearance of them! Would it be possible to make an internal breather pipe that comes through the bulkhead??? I recently removed the air con so could poss send the hosing in that way??? Not sure if there would be health/ safety/ mot or legal issues if I was to cut the bulkhead etc? Any suggestions? If we come up with some good ideas iand I go ahead with it I will post it all up here. Cheers
      Your truck would sound a bit like a vaccum cleaner inside, or do you mean bring it out of the roof from inside the car, in which case think about the diameter of snorkels and the size of the hole you would need to cut in the roof

Comment

As has already been said. It would be very noisy. Plus if you restrict the size of piping to the intake then you will be restricting airflow and engine will struggle to breath. I know the diameter of pipework on my snorkel is 2.5". I Think it would be tough to do tbh.
        I think snorkels look great.
        PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

If you wanted to get really silly, you could fit a roof scoop and run the pipework internally. As said before, the diameter pipe you need might be a problem....

Comment

Hi Tom. Are you a rastafarian?.........Cheers....Mick.
            " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Hi Tom. Are you a rastafarian?.........Cheers....Mick.[/QUOTE]

Ummmmmm NO? Lol

Comment

2.5" pipe, check! Didn't think about the noise... I've not given up the idea yet. Like to think outside the box

Comment

A snorkel head only needs to be as high as the door mirror for wading in a truck that you want/need to use every day, if you need to wade any deeper you're wasting your money buying a Surf.

Comment

Ok guys... Just a rough idea but this has gotta be better than the intake being behind the headlight!!! If your wading through water and it goes ad high as the wing not only can you see, but the flow of the water would travel over and away from the entrance to the air intake. Any thoughts or input appreciated

http://m1104.photobucket.com/albumvi...f5l0E%2F3yw%3D

Comment

on my old xantia i moved the air intake to the bulk head so it sat above the engine
                      i waded in the car many times water had to be wing mirror deep before she sucked it in

on a surf it maybe possable to do the same but your better off with a snorkle

only other way i could think of is useing a fexi hose and run under side to one of those rubber bungs that sit under the carpet and in to the cab

you will need diff breathers too theres a breather on the front and back and if its an auto its got one on the gearbox

and if you want to go realy deep block up the drain hole in the bottom of the air filter box
                      because it sucks water in from there when under water for too long
                      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        A snorkel head only needs to be as high as the door mirror for wading in a truck that you want/need to use every day, if you need to wade any deeper you're wasting your money buying a Surf.
                        its not a case of wanting too
                        i have fell sort and the water dint look deep but it covered my wing mirrors
                        that niped the old bum hole
                        i thought i was going to sink
                        all i seen was under water and then half under water and then the sky
                        i was glad i had a snorkle
                        but then again not every one drives off river banks
                        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

If we come up with some good ideas iand I go ahead with it I will post it all up here. Cheers
                          /\ That's why I wondered..........Seriously, though, has Calos not done some mod that tuned the intake trunking backwards, drawing air in through a hole in the top of the bulkhead, down through the air vents between bonnet and windscreen? Sure he posted something about it.........Cal!.......Cheers.. ..Mick.

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                            /\ That's why I wondered..........Seriously, though, has Calos not done some mod that tuned the intake trunking backwards, drawing air in through a hole in the top of the bulkhead, down through the air vents between bonnet and windscreen? Sure he posted something about it.........Cal!.......Cheers.. ..Mick.
                            I would shit myself every time i had a bow wave as that is where the water ends up
                            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
                              I would shit myself every time i had a bow wave as that is where the water ends up
                              Fair comment, Ian. Point taken. George makes a good point, as well, about diff and transmission breathers. They're much lower, so be sure to consider modding them first....Cheers....Mick.
                              Last edited by MWS; 12 December 2010, 18:11.

Comment

Working...
                              X