heater got me stumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heater got me stumped

right here goes. heater not workin,only warm air comin through. so thought proberly blocked. flushed it both ways (inlet and outlet) burped the cooling system no air locks. but the outlet pipe is still stone cold and the inlet is hot. took off the oulet hose and all thats coming out is cold coolant, inlet is still hot. so wheres it going???? the carpets in the cab are dry theres a good suppy of coolant on the inlet. but i can't figure out why still no hot air.

any help would be good.

forgot to say it's on a turd gen

Comment

has yours got one of the on-off valves, sounds like no water going through the matrix - was just a thought

Comment

The matrix is a heat exchanger. If inlet hose is nice and hot, outlet is much cooler, but air output is lukewarm, there is only one cause. Water flow rate through the matrix is too low. If selector Hot/cold is working it can only really be a partially blocked matrix that's restricting flow.

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
          right here goes. heater not workin,only warm air comin through. so thought proberly blocked. flushed it both ways (inlet and outlet) burped the cooling system no air locks. but the outlet pipe is still stone cold and the inlet is hot. took off the oulet hose and all thats coming out is cold coolant, inlet is still hot. so wheres it going???? the carpets in the cab are dry theres a good suppy of coolant on the inlet. but i can't figure out why still no hot air.

any help would be good.
          So there was warm air originally, you flushed the matrix and now the air is cold?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            So there was warm air originally, you flushed the matrix and now the air is cold?
            nope there was always luke warm air, coming through. tried doing the usual but had no luck in it getting any hotter
            Last edited by sledge; 11 December 2010, 22:24.

Comment

If you flush a partially blocked matrix the water just passes through the transverse tubes that aren't blocked. If you increase the pressure of the water used for flushing it'll just push aside the gaskets in the end caps - by-passing the blocked tubes. Flow Is just through a few passages so output heat is poor. It's like having a partially blocked radiator. Inlet hose is hot, outlet is cool but vehicle overheats. The blocking of the matrix destroys its efficiency as a heat exchanger

Comment

I assume the valve on the bulkhead is open to allow the hot coolant through the matrix?

Comment

....took off the oulet hose and all thats coming out is cold coolant, inlet still hot...:
                  If hose at bulkhead is hot the blockage is downstream.

Comment

I assume the valve on the bulkhead is open to allow the hot coolant through the matrix?
                    yep, any ideas

Comment

Originally posted by davec170 View Post
                      If you flush a partially blocked matrix the water just passes through the transverse tubes that aren't blocked. If you increase the pressure of the water used for flushing it'll just push aside the gaskets in the end caps - by-passing the blocked tubes. Flow Is just through a few passages so output heat is poor. It's like having a partially blocked radiator. Inlet hose is hot, outlet is cool but vehicle overheats. The blocking of the matrix destroys its efficiency as a heat exchanger
                      the truck ain't over heating never has, just not gettin any heat from the matrix

Comment

yep, any ideas
                        I'm thinking that it's not fully open, like it's broken inside?
                        You could try connecting the coolant hoses directly to the heater pipes and by-pass the valve and see if you get hot air.

Unless some sort of rad seal has been used in the past, I can't see the matrix being blocked.

Comment

I'm thinking that it's not fully open, like it's broken inside?
                          You could try connecting the coolant hoses directly to the heater pipes and by-pass the valve and see if you get hot air.

Unless some sort of rad seal has been used in the past, I can't see the matrix being blocked.
                          i'll try it in the morning to see. had another tonight at flushing it with hose seem to better, but need to reconnect and burp system again before i know more. as far as i know valve is fully workin. so still unsure till tomorrow.

Comment

any help would be good.
                            the truck ain't over heating never has, just not gettin any heat from the matrix

Whoooosh.........

"your head"

Comment

Originally posted by davec170 View Post
                              Whoooosh.........

"your head"

you ain't even close the head is fine try again wikiboy

Comment

Working...
                              X