yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

@ Bushwhacker & Apache! Thoughts on 3rd Gen please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ Bushwhacker & Apache! Thoughts on 3rd Gen please?

Hi Guys
    Am looking to get a new Surf, as the old girl has done over 250,000 miles. TonyN tells me you have 2.7 petrol 3rd Gens, how do they compare to the 3.0l diesel engines?
    Might also be tempted to see if I can get a 4th Gen (maybe). If I do I'll be selling quite a bit of hairdressing equipment, if anyone's interested?
    Nil illegitimi carborundum

Hi mate. Bushy can probably offer more long term appraisal than me. I've only covered around 1000 miles in it so far. Regarding a comparison between the 3.0TD and the 2.7 petrol though...

The petrol engine is definitely quieter and smoother than the diesel unit, and feels more powerful on the road, especially in overtaking at A road speeds. It appears to be more economical on a long journey, though I dont think there's a huge amount in it. Short journeys, its a bit thirsty, but isn't everything? The diesel may have the edge here, but again, not much in it.

Service parts are not currently available from the usual suspects (RT, Milners) but I've spent some time putting together a cross reference of service parts. They are available from motor factors. Most parts are common with other vehicles using the 3RZ-FE engine, inc Previa, some Hiaces, Colorado, Prado etc

For wading, the vehicle may need a bit more prep than the diesel, which need next to none!

The biggest advantage - because most people are wary of petrol engines in a heavy truck, making the incorrect (in the 2.7s case) assumption that its going to be thirstier than the diesel, they are cheaper than the equivalent diesel engined truck. My 61'000 miler cost me £2400. Yes, there's a couple of superficial niggles here and there, but they can wait for the warmer weather to be sorted!

The (rare on these shores in a 3rd gen) 3.4 IS genuinely thirsty, managing 20mpg at best according to published figures.

On the whole, I like it. It's a much nicer engine for road use. Time will tell how it fares off road.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Thanks mate, it's gonna be used predominantly on road, hoping the fiance won't mind me hanging on to the old girl for off-roading. She already drives my old 3.0ltd 3rd Gen and is sold on 4X4, in fact we're looking for a zook for her.
      Good to hear it's quiter too, but I guess AT's are noisy whatever engine you have. If I get one anytime soon I may ask you for that list of service parts. I think I've binned the idea of a 4th Gen, the road tax would be prohibitive, so I'll try for a 2001 3rd!

PS
      I'll need some more stickers too!

Comment

Get one, I guarantee you will love it. The most civilised Surf you can get for under 8k.
        Ours is mainly used on road and for pulling the caravan. Has been an absolute gem since we got it back in march last year. Best MPG so far is 34, that was on a run from south Wales to Chester and back, all 'A' roads.
        Make sure you get an early 2001 to avoid the higher road tax robbery.

Comment

Nice looking truck Bushy! How much? Import or dealer?
          Apache..2.4k, what a bargain!

Comment

Vince's is a good bit newer than mine. Other than cosmetics, AFAIK mechanically they are the same.

Comment

Aha! Have found one here:
              http://www.autotraderimports.com/3846.html

But not sure how to import myself. They charge about £800. for shipping.

Comment

Wouldn't that attract the higher tax, being 2001?

There's a couple of 2.7s on eBay too now.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  Wouldn't that attract the higher tax, being 2001?

There's a couple of 2.7s on eBay too now.

As long as it's going to be a 'Y' plate and not a '51' should just get in under the lower rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Piker View Post
                    Nice looking truck Bushy! How much? Import or dealer?
                    Apache..2.4k, what a bargain!
                    We done a straight swap for our '06 Corolla, with a member on here, so I'd guess about 5k.

I'd want 7k if I were to sell it though as it's one of the last of the 3rd gens.

Comment

Looking hard, might have to contact Algy. Not getting much joy from Japanese sites! 7k was what I was looking to spend on a good one, so thanks for the reply! Maggie (fiance) is happy to keep the old deisel 3rd gen too! Happy Days, gonna have an on road & off road Surf! Yeeha!

Comment

Found this one, 120,000km Not as new as I'd like but!
                        http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www...01048374621915

Comment

If you are looking at older ones...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Hilux-S...#ht_500wt_1156

£2k, no bids, no reserve. Could be worth a punt! Just think of what £5k's worth of mods could look like!

Comment

Thanks, had a look. Not going to mod the road version, it's just for clocking up the miles as I am back working on cricket next year. Did 25k this year and only started in May!

Comment

Nice looking Truck Bushwacker

Main reason I went for a Surf was their reputation for going on forever (if looked after). Diesel engines tend to go for more miles than petrols to my knowledge. Anyone know much about the longevity of the 2.7 petrol engine compared to the KZTE and if there are any particular issues with it?

If the MPG is about the same as a 3.0 TD and better on A roads a 2.7 would probably suit me better and petrol is cheaper so would probably cost less per mile to run.

Are the service intervals the same in terms of oil change etc?

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X