Chassis and Underside surface rust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chassis and Underside surface rust?

My rear section exhaust failed last night just in front of the bean tin size silencer - I take it this is a common problem from what Ive seen on here? Replacement from Roughtrax on route.

Whilst removing the bit that was hanging off had a butchers underneath at the rest of the underside and could see lots of surface rust on the chassis, suspension, drivetrain and metalwork (not body) was wondering if this is normal on a Gen2 or is something to worry about? .... or am I just being fussy

I realise its not the weather for it now so the plan for the spring is to wire brush off the loose rust and hammerite the metal to stop it rusting anymore and then underseal it? unless you guys can suggest another / better way or different materials to do this with.

Ill try and put a pic up later for comparison with your own.

They dont salt the roads in Japan so the underseal is all they use, Once over here its exposed to our elements. You can clean the rust off & HAMMERITE as i do or use some other Product. JOB DONE!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Pics for opinion
      Attached Files

Comment

Thats normal, I've seen worse.

Get yourself some Hammerite and spray it on with one of those touch-up spray guns with a compressor if possibe, much quicker than a brush.

Comment

Theres plenty of good quality thick steel there, just clean it up and paint it, get some waxoyl and spray inside chassis cavities for extra protection.

My truck looked worse after standing for 10 months.
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Thanks for the advice - has put my mind at rest.

Shame its the wrong time of year for getting all this done Ill add it to he list for the spring have only just bought the truck so no option really.

Comment

Mine used to look like that
              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I undersealed & Waxoyled mine 2 weeks ago. Used a compressor & underseal gun which also had the waxoyl cavity probe. Spent one day wire brushing/washing and the second day applying. Pumped 1ltr waxoyl into every cavity, hole and recess I could find and 1.5ltr of underseal underneath. The finished job really does smarten up the truck and I found it not to be a messy task either. All down to good preparation I think. Definitely worth doing.

Comment

Originally posted by gbv2 View Post
                  I undersealed & Waxoyled mine 2 weeks ago. Used a compressor & underseal gun which also had the waxoyl cavity probe. Spent one day wire brushing/washing and the second day applying. Pumped 1ltr waxoyl into every cavity, hole and recess I could find and 1.5ltr of underseal underneath. The finished job really does smarten up the truck and I found it not to be a messy task either. All down to good preparation I think. Definitely worth doing.
                  Could you nip over and do mine please?
                  Alan

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                    Could you nip over and do mine please?
                    Before I started I told two mates we could do their LC & Surf after I had done mine.
                    When I finished I changed that to "You's can borrow my tools anytime."

Comment

Originally posted by gbv2 View Post
                      Before I started I told two mates we could do their LC & Surf after I had done mine.
                      When I finished I changed that to "You's can borrow my tools anytime."
                      I have the stuff to do it myself, just thought I would ask LOL
                      Alan

Comment

Working...
                      X