the temp gauge mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apache View Post
    A simple LCD display calibrated as a voltmeter, and then configured with a voltage divider to convert the input voltage to your conventional gauge to a direct reading of temp should work, and should be fairly straightforward to implement - if not to calibrate.
    Yeah, that word 'simple' is in the wrong instance, sorry.
    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
      Yeah, that word 'simple' is in the wrong instance, sorry.
      Haha sorry. I meant a basic one. You can get them from RS and probably Maplin as a bare LCD display that just requires a couple of resistors to configure as a voltmeter with a 0-2V, 0-20V, or 0-200mV display. The 0-200mV range would work fine as it will display 001 to 200, which means if you make a voltage divider suitable to display, say, 090 when the engine temp is 90 degrees, you've cracked it. It would be easier to do than describe.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Deadeye Si View Post
        Cheers email sent.
        Got that.

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
          It goes better after the beer, i was thinking of doing this but as i got an aftermarket gauge i thought "sod it"
          I think the better setup is to have an additional guage like you have it and leave the factory one at factory spec. That way you know what temp Toyota are determining as "Normal running temp" and what the engine is actually running at. On my guage normal seems to be from 50c to 90c (haven't seen it hotter yet).
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
            That way you know what temp Toyota are determining as "Normal running temp"
            That's the problem though, they don't. They have a massive range that they have deemed to be 'normal'.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              That's the problem though, they don't. They have a massive range that they have deemed to be 'normal'.
              That's fine by me. I have an aux gauge to know when to clench my back door (or not).
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Gary, the resistors arrived this morning.
                Thanks very much.

Comment

Originally posted by spacast View Post
                  Gary, the resistors arrived this morning.
                  Thanks very much.
                  Great stuff!

All where posted together so the others should have theirs soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                    Haha sorry. I meant a basic one. You can get them from RS and probably Maplin as a bare LCD display that just requires a couple of resistors to configure as a voltmeter with a 0-2V, 0-20V, or 0-200mV display. The 0-200mV range would work fine as it will display 001 to 200, which means if you make a voltage divider suitable to display, say, 090 when the engine temp is 90 degrees, you've cracked it. It would be easier to do than describe.
                    Cheers Andy

So if I measure the water temperature with a probe or thermometer or something at the same time as measuring the voltage being sent in relation to that temperature sent to the guage to make the needle move then if taken at various tempratures from cold to operating temp that will give me the current per deg C and can calibrate it from there?

Comment

Originally posted by gbv2 View Post
                      No problem Boss!
                      I'll stick them in the post for ya.

Certainly, email me your details.
                      Cheers Gary parts arrived on sat morn thanx.
                      now i just need sum time to get it sorted.
                      Cheers Si.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayside View Post
                        Cheers Andy

So if I measure the water temperature with a probe or thermometer or something at the same time as measuring the voltage being sent in relation to that temperature sent to the guage to make the needle move then if taken at various tempratures from cold to operating temp that will give me the current per deg C and can calibrate it from there?
                        More or less yes, but it will be mV/deg C rather than a current measurement.
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Cool Ill see if I can get my brain around a simple circuit to achieve this.

Comment

Working...
                          X