yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking the cold has finally killed off the Surf's batteries??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking the cold has finally killed off the Surf's batteries??

If... the batteries are dead. I have an ATS almost right next door to where I live, can I trust them to put on two new batteries and know what they are doing? I'm a full time student and they give a 10% student discount. I'm not sure whether to get ATS to do it or get my usual garage out to do it, it wouldn't start today, and the colder the weather this is how it goes. It was -10 today!

So what do you reckon guys, will ATS bugger it up? Could they bugger it up? Or shall I just get my usual, reliable but not so close to home, garage to sort it?

Yes, I could perhaps charge the battery(s) up and get her going, Question? do I have to take them off or just disconnect to do that?

Ta...

ps.. isn't it fun driving in the snow... he he he
    Love me Love my Surf!

You dont even need to disconnect them. Just attach a charger to one and it will charge both. Not ideal but will get you going.

Winter is the time a weak battery will show itself though, so a new pair might be worth doing. You can get them tested first though.

Its a VERY easy job, I cant see even ATS fecking that one up!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
      You dont even need to disconnect them. Just attach a charger to one and it will charge both. Not ideal but will get you going.

Winter is the time a weak battery will show itself though, so a new pair might be worth doing. You can get them tested first though.

Its a VERY easy job, I cant see even ATS fecking that one up!
      Thanks for the info..
      lol... I'm always a bit suspicious, of multi nationals..

The batteries have been draining very easily and quickly, had a similar problem last year, having to turn the truck over for a while before it would start, but the meter thing on the dashboard is at about half level... so I'm assuming they are on the way out. I've had this truck 2 years and haven't replaced the batteries, don't know how long they are meant to last.
      Love me Love my Surf!

Comment

I had this on Fri night mate. I had the AA out, and he fixed the loose alternator, well tightened it back up, and got them both running fine again. He did a test on both batteries for me too, and both batteries (should read 760din) were only reading about 235 din each, so he advised me to get new ones asap, and that Toyotas would be the best ones.
        £70 each and good, solid piece of mind!!
        www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

My truck had the original batteries on mate (1994) so that shows ya how long they should last!
          www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Adarsha & The Beast View Post
            the meter thing on the dashboard is at about half level... so I'm assuming they are on the way out.
            Ignore that meter, its not accurate and doesn't measure the volts at the right place for testing battery health. It's just an indication of charging really. Get them checked properly.

As has been said, batteries are as cheap from Toyota as anywhere else, but other decent brands are (not exclusively) Yuasa and Varta.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Thank you, it'll be a busy morning then tomorrow, maybe get the AA out first and sort it out from there!

Love me Love my Surf!

Comment

With this cold dark weather, lights, heater blower, rear demister, lots of cranking (if the glowplugs are tired) will drain the batteries down and unless you drive for at least 20 mins to put the charge back in them, the state of charge will stay low.
                Always switch everything off and allow the engine to idle for 30 secs or so if you can so the batteries are topped up before the next start.

Comment

If you know someone with a Halfords discount card, buy your batteries there.
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Adarsha & The Beast View Post
                    Thank you, it'll be a busy morning then tomorrow, maybe get the AA out first and sort it out from there!

The AA will offer to sell you battereis, I paid about £110 for 2 batteries I fitted my self... that should give a rough figure to prevent you being ripped off

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      With this cold dark weather, lights, heater blower, rear demister, lots of cranking (if the glowplugs are tired) will drain the batteries down and unless you drive for at least 20 mins to put the charge back in them, the state of charge will stay low.
                      Always switch everything off and allow the engine to idle for 30 secs or so if you can so the batteries are topped up before the next start.
                      Thanks for the info. Had the glow plugs checked - they were fine. The batteries don't have much of a kick in them, so I'm assuming it's them. .

My drive into uni is a good 35 to 40 mins, so that should get the charge back up. Once she's started first thing, she'll start again later in the day, it's just that first start in these cold cold mornings that gives me the problem!

12 volt number 069 type is that the right battery? Just found this link..
                      http://www.tayna.co.uk/batterygroups...ies-page1.html

AA will check the batteries and get it started though, I have homestart etc.
                      Love me Love my Surf!

Comment

i had the same problem yesterday after surf sat parked up for a week,

went to start it yesterday morning, and it was dead, combination of cold, not starting it in ages and rear interior light left on!!!!

had nothing to just start off so nipped down to the lads in local motor factor and they gave me a 12v tractor battery to get me started, 1000CCA battery...

job done wipped new battery out and threw old one back in and now been starting on the button all day...

Comment

If you've got a two battery installation then it's highly likely that one's a 69 and the other a 68 - if you look at them the positive terminals will be on opposite sides.

Before you replace them check the electrolyte level, top up if necessary and give them a full charge. It would also be sensible to measure the charging voltage at the batteries

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

i've got an mgb thats being a pain to start at the moment, the battery is in very good condition, ive borrowed it to start my van/jag/rover and a few other things, its got good cranking amps but... it gets cold very easily and then its useless at 6.45 am but fine the rest of the day.

you could fully charge the batteries and wrap them in some type of insulation and try and see how they get on, patrols and a few other similar veicles have well wrapped batteries.

also at this time of year your earth straps need to be in good order, a way of checking is when you cant get the thing to crank fast enough, run a jump lead from negative to the block and see if cranking speed increases, also clean and vaseline your terminals, some people copper slip but its dirty stuff once you lean in and get it on your clothes

Comment

yes as predictable bob says, the batteries are different. you have a left one and a right one.
                              Weird, one cost me £76 and the other was £69!
                              The AA advised me against Halfords, said they really are rubbish cheap sh1t, and they didnt try to sell me them either.
                              I'm happy i got them from Toyota, and no silly dealer prices bunged on top.
                              www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X