advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice needed

Ok had my surf now nearly 3 months so anything thats wrong with it needs sorting before the warranty goes a bye bye, well everything is fine runs like a dream electrics ok but my wife noticed that the rear end of the surf has a slight list to one side, when looking at the car square on from the rear the O/S leans like there is some extra load on that side of the rear compressing the springs, i measured from wheel arch to tyre and N/S is 14cm O/S is 12.5cm so a 1.5cm difference, not much but makes all the difference ask any woman ooooooooeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr. before a call the guy i bought it off does anyone have any ideas what could be the root cause, ive had a good scan underneath and carnt see anything out of place(not that i would know anyway) and no cracks in springs etc, any help would be great cheers yall.
    Dave...
    if a politition is talking its lying

a tired spring, or sticking shock.
    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

how much fuel was in it when you noticed? the tank is on the o/side.

Comment

The 2nd gens almost all lean slightly towards the drivers side where the fuel tank is, on flat level ground. When the tank is empty the list is barely noticeable, when full more pronounced.

Worried the hell out of me until I looked at a few others and saw they did it too.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Mine doesn't lean,

It just misses a lamppost to prop up
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

only a 1/4 of a tank in her at the mo so fuel load is out of the running that was my first thought

Comment

tired spring or sticking shock, replace, job done.
              Last edited by stara; 6 July 2004, 20:16.
              [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Why not fill the fuel tank right up to increase the lean and return it to dealer for a new set of springs under warranty .
                At least you will get a new set of springs .

Rick ( fraud investigator)
                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                  Why not fill the fuel tank right up to increase the lean and return it to dealer for a new set of springs under warranty .
                  At least you will get a new set of springs .

Rick ( fraud investigator)

n1 rick,
                  can you investigate my fraud?

ship

Comment

I reckon the chassis rails are warped - it happens sometimes in hot weather ...

Comment

try putting some air in the tyre...........only in the bottom bit
                      Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

JIML
                        I dont like the sound of the warped chassis rails thing is this really serious??????

Comment

Originally posted by firefly
                          JIML
                          I dont like the sound of the warped chassis rails thing is this really serious??????
                          I Don't think he was serious (I hope). Those Chassis rails are huge and very strong, I think it would have to be hotter than death valley to warp them.

I Think that a 1 1/2 inch difference from side to side is a bit much - mine is about 1/4 inch. I think that the springs are knackered. Check the front one and see if there is much difference side to side, it is unlikely as the torsion bars are very tough and take a long time to sag - that's if they ever do.

A pair of new springs will solve the problem. Milners do uprated standard length ones or you could take the opportunity and put a bit of lift in it. You can get +2" ones from LA Supertrux, Scorpion Racing, Pro Comp, Old Man Emu (ARB) etc etc.

Cheers
                          Last edited by lucky; 7 July 2004, 15:00.

Comment

thanks for all your replies, just got off phone from dealer, asked if i could bring it in on 22nd, he actually mentioned it could be a spring or a shocker, which was very pleasing that he isnt gunna just fob me off, the warranty runs out on the 14th and he said if there is a problem he isnt going to argue over a few days,

Comment

Working...
                            X