Clear All

Originally posted by davec170 View Post
    '57 Chevy?
    Really
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      http://public.fotki.com/VincePutt/dr...vygasser1.html

I had red in my head, but everything was red in the late 70s!
      '57 Chevy?

Yup.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCJli...layer_embedded

I never did get that magazine back.

Comment

'57 Chevy?
        ... But Albannach has a quicker mind!

Comment

I know, already. I'm going as fast as I can on this phone!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Yup.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCJli...layer_embedded

I never did get that magazine back.
            22 seconds in, that wee bike thing sounds awesome!

Comment

I'm bored! (sound familiar?) Was hoping that someone would argue that tuning the 1KZTE was a good idea. Oh well, maybe in the morning.

Comment

I'm bored! (sound familiar?) Was hoping that someone would argue that tuning the 1KZTE was a good idea. Oh well, maybe in the morning.
                Tuning diesels is too complicated and you can't get the revs up, so pretty pointless. V8 it, more cost effective.

Comment

Tuning diesels is quite easy. They just get very dirty/thirsty/hot! There's no subtle tweaks required, like porting, pulse tuning, ignition/cam timing. Cetane rating has less effect than octane rating so compression ratio/volumetric efficiency is less important. Use your turbo to push air in, match that with as much diesel as can be burnt on the power stroke. Increase power until something melts/goes bang. Easy!

Comment

The complicated bit is stopping them melting or going bang. As you say, making them melt or go bang is simple.

Comment

The complicated bit is stopping them melting or going bang. As you say, making them melt or go bang is simple.

Yeah, because that's completely different from tuning a petrol engine. Not. There are more variables in a petrol engine - all directly related to having a throttled air intake. Petrol engines are perceived to be more tuneable as they are less efficient to begin with. The power gains that are seen on petrol engines are generally found from increased volumetric efficiency. That route is not readily available with diesel.
                      The thread title was about increasing the power of the 1KZTE and it's effects on fuel consumption. My stated opinion was more power = more fuel and more heat. In conclusion, don't bother tuning the 1KZTE for power.
                      If you want easy/cheap/reliable power fit a petrol engine or get another car!
                      If you really want diesel power, fit a Deltic.

Comment

A quick cautionary note to the OP.

You'll only know when you've gone too far, when you've gone too far. The black smoke (too much fuel)/white smoke (too much air) thing is a good barometer though.

Comment

If you really want diesel power, fit a Deltic.
                          Or a Detroit.

Comment

Agree! You can tune the 1KZTE. I've done it. If you're not sure what you're doing, the options are:

A. Pay someone to do it for you. Little gain for much expense.
                            B. Have a go yourself. Little gain but cheap - right up to the point you overstep the mark. Big fuel bill followed by BANG!

To be honest, it's not worth it - trying to squeeze another 25HP out of it. Let's face it, if you succeed you'll soon get used to it. Novelty wears off. You'll end up at step B sometime.

I like you Albannach. You speak a lot of sense.

Comment

A quick cautionary note to the OP.

You'll only know when you've gone too far, when you've gone too far. The black smoke (too much fuel)/white smoke (too much air) thing is a good barometer though.
                              Can I just say that white smoke is not caused by too much air (i.e too little fuel). If your Diesel (and its exhaust) is up to operating temperature and it is emitting white "smoke" it's time to start monitoring coolant level!
                              If it's blue smoke check breathers/compression ratio/turbo bearings and oil consumption.

Comment

Still bored.

Comment

Working...
                                X