Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! someone's dog damaged my other car

oh heck... flip and feck....

Driving home today in my Golf, bought as a runabout when not using the Surf, I only bought this car a week ago.

Envisage it... country road, bend .. two dogs run out in front of me, I brake .. yes, in a straight line, but hit the biggest dog. Hell of a smack and I thought it would be dead to be honest, but it run off and I found out later it's ok.

My car... broken headlamp, replacement cost? £150.

The man who's dog it was, was ok about it at the time, we exchanged addresses, phone numbers, then he ran off to find his dog that had run home and take it to the vets. I've spoken to my garage, to the police to report it, and to my insurance. Insurance claim...??? well it's just not worth it, besides there is an excess of £200.

The insurance people advised me to ask the dog owner to go into the garage and pay for the work BEFORE it gets done. Seems fair, huh? I've spoken to him and to be honest even though he's agreed to go into the garage and pay, something inside me is feeling rather doubtful that he'll pay up.

What do you think guys? What's the best way to resolve this?
    Love me Love my Surf!

Does he have pet insurance? I know it sounds daft! My dog cover includes 3rd party liability (including vehicles) up to £50,000. Worth asking him - not many people realise pet insurance often includes 3rd parties. Not sure about fire and theft and I've never asked about a loan dog, whilst mine is being fixed...

Comment

You could probably get a replacement headlight off E-bay for around £40.

Comment

Originally posted by davec170 View Post
        Does he have pet insurance? I know it sounds daft! My dog cover includes 3rd party liability (including vehicles) up to £50,000. Worth asking him - not many people realise pet insurance often includes 3rd parties. Not sure about fire and theft and I've never asked about a loan dog, whilst mine is being fixed...

Hmmm never thought about that... definitely something to check out.

Bushwacker.. great idea, my garage quote was £79 for the new lamp plus VAT, plus fitting... the bumper has to come off, and I will have to have a garage do it, can't do it myself.
        Love me Love my Surf!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarsha & The Beast View Post
          Hmmm never thought about that... definitely something to check out.

Bushwacker.. great idea, my garage quote was £79 for the new lamp plus VAT, plus fitting... the bumper has to come off, and I will have to have a garage do it, can't do it myself.

Shame you're so far away, but if you get no joy with the dog owner, you're welcome to come here and I'll fit it. All it'll cost you is the fuel and a king size twix!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Shame you're so far away, but if you get no joy with the dog owner, you're welcome to come here and I'll fit it. All it'll cost you is the fuel and a king size twix!
            Aw thanks Bushwacker.. you're a star, so kind of you
            Love me Love my Surf!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              If you make that offer next time I hit a deer I'll bring a trailer load!

Comment

My car... broken headlamp, replacement cost? £150.

The insurance people advised me to ask the dog owner to go into the garage and pay for the work BEFORE it gets done. Seems fair, huh? I've spoken to him and to be honest even though he's agreed to go into the garage and pay, something inside me is feeling rather doubtful that he'll pay up.

What do you think guys? What's the best way to resolve this?
                Right now theres nothing to resolve except your feelings and only you can control them. Hes agreed to pay up, I think its only fair to give him a chance to do so.

Bogus
                Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                  Right now theres nothing to resolve except your feelings and only you can control them. Hes agreed to pay up, I think its only fair to give him a chance to do so.

Bogus
                  Very true, he seemed like a decent guy...

A mixture of shock and horror on my part I'm afraid, last thing I hit was a sheep about 30 years ago on the Black Mountain, Brecon Beacons, and no-one worries about a sheep.

My first thoughts when this happened were for the dog, but apparently he is fine! God only knows how. And.. thank god I wasn't in the Surf, I doubt very much the dog would have got off so lightly
                  Love me Love my Surf!

Comment

Poor lil' sheep

Comment

A mixture of shock and horror on my part I'm afraid, last thing I hit was a sheep about 30 years ago on the Black Mountain, Brecon Beacons, and no-one worries about a sheep.
                      That brings back a memory of when I lived in Northumberland and there were lambs getting onto a road which lead down to the A69 (dual carriageway) which was fairly close to where I was living at the time. I thought the farmer would be concerned but after I drove up to his house to let him know he didn't really seem to give a flying fig about it.

Given the chance of him losing livestock, never mind the possibility of a big 70mph+ crash on the A69 I was rather disappointed with his lack of concern...

Comment

One of my mates hit a sheep on the A66 in a Fiesta - 20 years ago. The reason I remember it is because I was in the passenger seat. It got stuck between the rear beam and the floor pan. It wouldn't die. It screamed and kicked for ages, and wouldn't pull out. Farmer on scene didn't want to know - probably knew that if his livestock was on a public road any damage was down to him. Long story short: drove on with new ICE, about 20 miles before it turned off. Back box took two weeks before it stopped smelling of roast mutton. Happy days.

Comment

That reminds me of another time when I driving a Unimog from Cullen to Inverness. Coming on to the A96, heading into Elgin I ran over a pig. I rang back to the office, saying that it was wrapped round the front axel but still twitching. I was younger then and in a bit of a panic!

They asked me if it was badly hurt/suffering. I said that I thought it was pretty well gone - just the occaisional pityful squeal and screech.

One of the hardest things I had to do - they said get the spade from the load bay and put it out of its' misery, then bury it in the nearest ditch.

I still think about it today.

Keeping his speed gun on my bookcase probably doesn't help.

Comment

Procedure for hitting sheep. Have a good look around, make sure the poor animal is dead, if not go halal, if car is driveable pop sheep in the boot, visit local supermarket for mint sauce, skin n butcher the meat, have whopping dinner with roasties n all the trimmings, jobs a goodun. H

Comment

All sorted, no hassle... obviously a man true to his word. And.. the dog only has a cut lip! thankful for that.
                              Love me Love my Surf!

Comment

Working...
                              X