Byways - just end..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Byways - just end..

So been doing some reading up and where we can and cant go..

think i've got the termonology sorted now with the different restrictions..

so studied the local ordanance survey maps today, i live nr bucklebury in berkshire and found there is a load of byways, so as I'm new to this I thougth i'd go check them out - couple of them were good to start with, found a couple that were a little more tricky, and 1 scared me.. lol

amazed that the truck didnt flinch and I thoroughly enjoyed myself - so looking to find others in area and get some more experience

anyway, reading the maps i followed byways and if it wasnt signposted as a byway i didnt try it out, some of them tho, looked a few miles long, but after half a mile, just a gate with private - some went to houses - another went on for a while, getting tighter and tighter, then popped to lieka Tee junction with a restricted byway with notices up saying no vehilces etc - so my only option was to turn back - spent just as much time turning round as i did exploring.

is this par for the course - are a lot of byways dead ends?

I guess I've still got a lot to learn (should have taken my camera with me) but i did thoroughly enjoy myself and cant wait to learn more!

Never go off roading or laning on your own
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Yup, lots of old byways are now restricted, so you can't use them, so you often find you end up at a dead end when the route used to go somewhere else but its now closed.

Also look out for TRO notes on byways, these are temporarily closed, normally due to weather and if they would get cut up badly if used when wet.

Consider joining GLASS or similar (although not many other options that carry the political weight they do), if you want to help maintain, stay on top of closures so you don't get in trouble and fight keep byways open.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
        Never go off roading or laning on your own
        LOL, unless you are happy to live with the consequences of getting stuck.

I love greenlaning on my own, its much more peaceful and relaxing.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
          LOL, unless you are happy to live with the consequences of getting stuck.

I love greenlaning on my own, its much more peaceful and relaxing.
          Fair enough if you know the lanes and you know that you won't get stuck then yes go on your own but if they are like Lawsy says then i wouldn't want to do it.Some of the lanes that i have done down here are just farm tracks and not to bad and the one at St Just is so nice driving that one on your own

Comment

Yeah, I'm assuming people have the brains not to just launch themselves in a deep muddy hole on an unknown track.

90% of byways are just tracks, and no hassle at all. Just a nice relaxing drive in the countryside. (plus I have a winch)

Comment

I often green lane on my own too.

Just a case of using your brain before your throttle.
              Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Yeah, I'm assuming people have the brains not to just launch themselves in a deep muddy hole on an unknown track.

90% of byways are just tracks, and no hassle at all. Just a nice relaxing drive in the countryside. (plus I have a winch)

I got a wench but no winch so will that help.
                I suppose i can get her to push the truck..

Comment

Originally posted by Smego2 View Post
                  Just a case of using your brain before your throttle.
                  lol, sadly dosn't often happen, people get the 'Redneck Mist' come down, and it all gets messy....

Comment

nuff said
                    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

the ones round here are more just tracks - every one I've been down today I've either walked, cycled or it was short enough not to worry

most were like this

was just weird how a well signposted byway ended up a gate to someones house..

saw a few with notices on, it seems that around the bucklebury area its all well signposted and warning etc

had fun tho and cant wait to do it again

local club round here - '4x4 without a club' club look to organise days so might persuade swmbo that its a good day out this sunday...
                      Last edited by lawsy; 8 November 2010, 20:14.

Comment

Nope!
                        “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

If you are going to do offroading on your own, may I recommend the foreshore in North Norfolk. Some truly excellent sand and streams and the like, and when you do get stuck, the fact that the tide comes back in at about 20 metres a minute adds a real frisson to the whole being stuck experience. Fortunately it was only a landrover.

Comment

Working...
                          X