Corroded Pipes, rear heater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
    8mm bolts, no bleed required, just top up if needed.
    Thanks Alan

Ben

Comment

Got them replaced today with some 8mm Cu pipe and not before time. Got the tuck up on the ramp, wobbled the pipe and it spilt instantly, haemorraging coolant everywhere.

Thanks for all the replies.

Ben

Comment

lost coolant today from a coroded rear heater pipe,am i right to asume i can join the 2 metal pipes from the engine with the rubber pipe or will i have to replace the coroded section ?

Comment

id imagine joinin the 2 pipes in the engine bay together an eliminating the rear heater wouldn do any harm would it??

Comment

thats what i was thinking,just wanting peace of mind it be ok,never realy use the rear heater anyway

Comment

I have did this with no ill effects about 3months ago. I just took one rubber hose off the metal pipes at the front bulkhead and routed it back to the other connection point nearer the engine.
              Cheers,
              Mark

Comment

mines got green coolant in or did have,do i fill it up with neat or is it 50/50 coolant and water ?

Comment

I checked mine just before Christmas when I did a coolant flush & change, and they looked pretty rough. My local Toyota dealer quoted me £70-ish.

So I did think of "U bending" a piece of hose in the engine bay and bypassing the rear heater completely: problem is it keeps the dog warm in winter, and also disperses some of the engine heat.

I think I'll end up doing it though, and I'll just have to remember to put the dog's coat on him instead - cheaper!
                  1996 3.0 diesel SSR-G Auto

Comment

did mine this morning,worth checking them pipes it could of easily been a lot more expensive if i hadnt

Comment

Originally posted by silva surfa View Post
                      did mine this morning,worth checking them pipes it could of easily been a lot more expensive if i hadnt
                      did you jus loop yours in the engine bay??loose much coolant in the process?

Comment

yeah traced pipes back up to engine bay took the rubber pipes off and joined them together with a short bit and used the old clips,didnt loose much coolant allready lost that lol

Comment

Mine have gone too - came back to the Surf this affer and there was about 3 pints of rusty water on the floor. No prior warnings. Cut out the perforated section and replaced it with rubber, will do the copper pipes asap as #2 son rides in the back and needs the heat in Winter.

Cheers for the heads up to all previous posters here.
                          Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Got mine replaced with 8mm copper piping today (best price from plumbing merchant - 3m should be enough):

Disconnect these two (these are what you would bridge if you wanted to cut the rear heater out of the loop and not replace the pipes):

Here's what mine looked like underneath (plumbed in a section of rubber yesterday to replace holed section):

Removed pipes and brackets, pipes cracked easily during removal:

Fit 1st of two pipes to rear hoses for heater

Feed new pipe (middle of pic) through to engine bay (pre-bending end to match old pipe end):

Connect to rubber part of hose at engine end. Fill with coolant. Burp system with heat on full whack front and rear.

Thanks to Boyd for doing the hard bits!
                            Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

lovely! pictures too - excellent thred.

lovely! pictures too - excellent thred. Saw a dribble of water ont he drive today - investigated, one touch and it was like the dam buster!!! water everywhere.
                              PHEW - glad I spotted this. My truck has never needed a water top up in 3+ years, now it needs some!
                              Cant get those rubber pipes off at the moment though!!!
                              If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Well done for posting this thread. I recently bought a Gen 3 and the rear heater was not working. After seeing your thread, checked my Surf and found that a previous owner has done the rear heater bypass as described. I will now try the fix as illustrated in your post.
                                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X