4WD sticking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4WD sticking.

Hello, why is it that my 4wd takes ages to turn off after deselecting 4WD on the transfer lever button?

It's always done it a bit, but it's got a lot worse recently. I used to be able to turn it off straight away, or if not, just stick it in reverse and 4WD would click out, but now it just seems to go off when it wants to, usually after going back and forth like a ### at the end of a lane with people looking at me.

I went greenlaning yesterday with a load of other trucks and each time i came to the tarmac at the end of a lane, i'd have to deselect 4WD and reverse back and cause everyone behind me to back up for ages in order to get it out of 4WD for the solid surface. It's really annoying when out in convoy with other people and it does no favours for the Surfs' image in front of all the Rotting Landrover drivers. Which just won't do...

Is there anything i can do about this?

Cheers.

I do this to all my conversions........
    http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/

It's the vacuum side of the operation that causes the problems. Get rid of it and 4WD engages/disengages with the press of the button every time.

Comment

Its not through lack of use, may be over use and general wear and tear, if there is lots of play in t/case/diff/hubs they will bind harder.

You have Linda's diff, and her was never noticably hard to get out of 4wd, so I doubt it's just that, but maybe a combo of all the bits.

Are you turning 4wd off before you get to the end of the lane, I normally turn it off at the earliest oppotunity, so you have more time to wiggle the steering wheel and let if deselect before leaving the byway, otherwise I just leave it and it normally comes out a little way up the road.

If you drive on any hard surface it will bind a little, and rarely unlocks just on the button. Driving along the road, wiggling the steering wheel a little and a couple of blips on and off the throttle is just as good as getting it out of 4WD as going backwards and forwards in my experiance. At worst it turns off next time you come to stop and it rocks back a little when in P.

YOu could strip the ADD selector fork out and make sure its moving freely on the vacuum, but apart from that short of replacing everything you'll probabyl have to live with it.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers chaps.

Tony, what about Bushwacker's post? Is there a reason not to do that to it?

And Bushwacker, that looks a bit complex for me. I've never done anything like that before. Am i likely to cok anything up if i make any mistakes?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Logan View Post
          Cheers chaps.

Tony, what about Bushwacker's post? Is there a reason not to do that to it?
          No reason at all, it'll probably grind/clunk more if you shift into 4wd while at speed, thats the whole point of the ADD stuff. Its less to bind and unlock though, which IS what you're having trouble with.

You have manual hubs, so nothing is going round most of the time, so no need to disconnect the diff.

Its a load of vacuum lines you can bin from diff and inner wing. If mine ever plays up I'd do it, but while its working I'll leave it alone.

Its really easy, try it and see how you're unlocking goes, not much to lose.

(do check, I have done it to a truck recently, it may well be yours....I really have no idea!! But I think it was another truck that wouldn't engage 4wd properly )

Comment

Ok, i assume this is an American website, so have they got the driver's and passenger's sides the wrong way round? I'll need to know that.

Also, where he's on about capping the vacuum ports on the assembly, what should i use to do that?

Do i just need to buy liquid gasket stuff and a jubilee clip? Anything else?

Is there anything else in this write up i might have trouble with? I'm mainly worried about stuff breaking.

Cheers.

Comment

I thought Vince did his own write up here awhile back?

Comment

Tried the search function, can't find it. Anyone got a link?

Comment

It was part of Hiroler's engine swap thread, not really a write-up.

I've got to do it again tomorrow on this truck, I'll do a step by step with photos for you. I usually do it when the engine is out as it makes it easier.

Comment

Nice one, cheers mate.

Comment

Did you get round to doing it mate?

Comment

Working...
                      X