Delighted, but a bit puzzled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delighted, but a bit puzzled

It's here! It's huge! It's red and IT'S MINE!

I am the proud new owner of a 1993 2.4 auto SSR-X Surf.

What can I say - fab!

Slightly puzzled by a little black box glued under the steering column labelled "Countdown Turbo Timer B-11"

It isn't turned on at the moment. Should I turn it on? What does it do?

Thank god for this site, all the help and links came in handy this morning when I had to dismantle the dash to fit a new UK spec Stereo.

(Is there a forum/thread anywhere that explains formatting posts, sorting out signature, attaching piccies ?)
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=White]You can't have everything. Where would you put it?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Originally posted by Flannelmeister
    ...Slightly puzzled by a little black box glued under the steering column labelled "Countdown Turbo Timer B-11"

It isn't turned on at the moment. Should I turn it on? What does it do?....
    A turbo timer (aftermarket) is designed to allow the engine idle for a short period after the key has been turned off and removed, this is to allow the turbo time to cool, generally not required on the Surf unless you've just been thrashing it and then stopped straight away, in which case it allows the turbo to cool slowly. Most of us don't have em, but if we've just been driving hard, allow the turbo to cool by driving easier for the last mile or two, and allow a short idle before turning off.
    Possibly illegal in the UK as you are not permitted to leave an unattended vehicle with the engine running.

Have a search here for turbo timers, you'll find it has been covered many times before.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Thanks. I just hope that the fact that the Japanese owner had it fitted means that he/she was interested in looking after the vehicle and so the servicing has been carried out to schedule.
      [SIZE=2][COLOR=White]You can't have everything. Where would you put it?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

It's here! It's huge! It's red and IT'S MINE!

I am the proud new owner of a 1993 2.4 auto SSR-X Surf.

What can I say - fab!

Slightly puzzled by a little black box glued under the steering column labelled "Countdown Turbo Timer B-11"

It isn't turned on at the moment. Should I turn it on? What does it do?

Thank god for this site, all the help and links came in handy this morning when I had to dismantle the dash to fit a new UK spec Stereo.

(Is there a forum/thread anywhere that explains formatting posts, sorting out signature, attaching piccies ?)
        See FAQ or User CP to sort out formatting etc
        Gaz

Comment

Thes are illegal in UK due to fact vehicle is left unattended with engine running .

Police will prosecute if found in use also will if you leave your vehicle running with the key unless you are doing repairs to the vehicle which require the engine to be running

Rick ( I ain't a copper )
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

the turbo timer itself is not illegal, leaving the vehicle running unattended on a public highway is 'negligent use' even if it's locked, do what you like on private land though.(your garage or drive) (also for you auto drivers, the handbrake must also by applied in an unattended vehicle, it's the same offence) it's a non endorsable offense though. so not as illegal as 80mph on the motorway. long live the turbo.
            Last edited by stara; 3 July 2004, 21:03.
            [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

What about some of the newer cars being advertised with remote starting ?????If it's illegal what are they playing at ?

Comment

the handbrake must also by applied in an unattended vehicleWhat's a handbrake? I haven't used mine since having an auto............smack mt wrist!
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Thanx to all for the info.

Have tried the FAQ and a search to try to work out how to post pictures but iI can't get it to work.

Can anyone post/point me to an idiots guide?

Is it the file size (about 600Kb)?

Comment

turbo timers - excellent for making unaware passengers think you're daft! Drove an import ex-track celica (not mine) a few years ago that had one (even though the turbo had been removed <sniff> ... and the nitrous <sob>). The fun of getting out of the car, locking it and walking away whilst your passenger is saying odd bits (er, um, shouldn't you..... it's, er, still.....) and pointing until it mysteriously stops.

Might have to get one again just for the amusement factor!

Comment

Thanx to all for the info.

Have tried the FAQ and a search to try to work out how to post pictures but iI can't get it to work.

Can anyone post/point me to an idiots guide?

Is it the file size (about 600Kb)?
                      After clicking 'quote' or 'new thread' scroll down to 'manage attachments', click on this. Use the 'browse' button to find your picture/file, once its entered in the browse box click on 'upload'. While it uploads it says uploading file(s) please wait, this may take quite a while depending on file size. When its done it will show under current attachments in the lower part of this window (only shows current attachments when there actually is one).
                      When your all done simply 'close this window' then submit your reply in the usual way.
                      Around 100-150kb is usually plenty big enough for on here.
                      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

the surf i have just put a deposit on has one and i have to say the thought of it been illegal crossed my mind as it is 'quitting' however, more importantly...why would i want to leave my vehilce running when i am not there!!!!! come steal me!! (or at least try). i am already paranoid about this huge shiny all bells and whistles stereo that does not have a removable front.

mat

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                          After clicking 'quote' or 'new thread' scroll down to 'manage attachments', click on this. Use the 'browse' button to find your picture/file, once its entered in the browse box click on 'upload'. While it uploads it says uploading file(s) please wait, this may take quite a while depending on file size. When its done it will show under current attachments in the lower part of this window (only shows current attachments when there actually is one).
                          When your all done simply 'close this window' then submit your reply in the usual way.
                          Around 100-150kb is usually plenty big enough for on here.
                          Ok, here goes:

In our family we have always named our cars and, as discussed elsewhere, they are unquestionably female. Let me introduce you to Katie.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mat1
                            the surf i have just put a deposit on has one and i have to say the thought of it been illegal crossed my mind as it is 'quitting' however, more importantly...why would i want to leave my vehilce running when i am not there!!!!! come steal me!! (or at least try). i am already paranoid about this huge shiny all bells and whistles stereo that does not have a removable front.

mat
                            a turbo timer is NOT illegal, and you can still sit in the vehicle while the turbo timer is counting down. i always use mine set to 1min, wether i have been driving hard or not.

long live the turbo.
                            [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Working...
                            X