Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heater lights

Hi all,

Who was it who had the plasma dials on their dash?

I liked the look of them and have seen them on ebay - but my heater lights are pretty crappy too - what bulbs do they take?

is it these ones?

http://www.ultimatemods.co.uk/509t-led-bulb-t5.html
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

They look like they'd fit, the unit takes two bulbs and you have to practictly remove the unit to fit em, right sod! BUT even with two working bulbs in it aint that bright, i altered the internals somewhat and fitted several leds and as you see the effect is much brighter, i did do another unit for rodleach which ended up in Scorpions truck and was going to adapt a couple of units for someone (cant remember who it was now) and was waiting for replacement units from Stormforce but they never arrived,
    offer still open if anyone can be arsed and as i said then it's better if one obtains a unit, sends it to me for altering, then i send it back so you can change it straight over, this avoids you haveing the dash stripped out for days and allows me to do the job at my leasure
    however that said just replace the bulbs and it'll be better than f##'kall lights at all

Ps, the plasma dials are fairly easy to fit, several on ere have em, they look real good, (i did it the hard way with millions of leds!!)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by POPEYE; 22 October 2010, 20:21.
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I'd like to take you up on that offer popeye! I'll get Stormy to send you one at some point - how much do you charge?

Comment

Stormy! I know you'll be reading this I'm going to need a heater control bit - how much?

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
          They look like they'd fit, the unit takes two bulbs and you have to practictly remove the unit to fit em, right sod! BUT even with two working bulbs in it aint that bright, i altered the internals somewhat and fitted several leds and as you see the effect is much brighter, i did do another unit for rodleach which ended up in Scorpions truck and was going to adapt a couple of units for someone (cant remember who it was now) and was waiting for replacement units from Stormforce but they never arrived,
          offer still open if anyone can be arsed and as i said then it's better if one obtains a unit, sends it to me for altering, then i send it back so you can change it straight over, this avoids you haveing the dash stripped out for days and allows me to do the job at my leasure
          however that said just replace the bulbs and it'll be better than f##'kall lights at all

Ps, the plasma dials are fairly easy to fit, several on ere have em, they look real good, (i did it the hard way with millions of leds!!)
          That was me and Hiroler. Will have to get onto to Stormy about these again.

Comment

I was thinking about this the other day yeah I would still like mine if possible. Rich let me know how much I owe for the dials and I will send some cash. Cheers

Comment

When fitting Plasma dials goes wrong!

I was intending to start my own thread on this but i'll jump in here instead.

Just today i was installing a set of the same Plasma Dials in my 2nd Gen. I had the dials sitting on the bench stripped down when i turned and knocked an object off the shelf and BAM!
              The f**ker landed on my Tacho and caused damage

Once the dials had stopped bouncing about inspection showed that a small fragment of the tacho circuit board had broken off the bottom lefthand corner as you look down on the whole dial set up (see pics)

To cut a long story short i finished the installation and installed the dials back in the dash and everything works fine except...........the engine check light does not light up anymore.
              So do you think i can replace the tacho circuit board with another one from the same model of Surf??? Does it just unscrew from the housing? Would like to keep my own mileage and dont really want to strip the plasma dials out so would like to avoid sticking a whole 'new' set of dials in. What do ya all think?

BTW the dials look real cool. Can take pics if anyone wants but i know there is already a few posted before on the forum.
              Last edited by GBV8; 23 October 2010, 01:03.

Comment

You'll need to remove the PCB what ever you decide to do, so try soldering small wires in place of those broken tracks on the PCB first.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  You'll need to remove the PCB what ever you decide to do, so try soldering small wires in place of those broken tracks on the PCB first.
                  Oh sh*t! That sounds a bit beyond my capabilities and tools. So maybe i can remove the board and just replace it? Apart from not knowing if a fault has developed because the check light is not working do you think any harm will be done if i keep driving until i get the bits sorted? I'll need to give it about a week because that dash & dials have my head done right in.

Comment

Originally posted by gbv2 View Post
                    Oh sh*t! That sounds a bit beyond my capabilities and tools. So maybe i can remove the board and just replace it? Apart from not knowing if a fault has developed because the check light is not working do you think any harm will be done if i keep driving until i get the bits sorted? I'll need to give it about a week because that dash & dials have my head done right in.

You've managed to get at the insides of the clocks already, so all you need is a small soldering iron and a couple of short pieces of thin wire.

Remove the screws holding the circuit board to the plastic case, lift out the tacho assembly, turn it over and hold the broken piece next to the circuit board and you'll see where the tracks go (did go!). Just solder small pieces of wire in place of the broken tracks.

It's OK to still drive the truck, but sooner or later you'll have to remove the clocks again so best do it now while it's in pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                      Hi all,

Who was it who had the plasma dials on their dash?

I liked the look of them and have seen them on ebay - but my heater lights are pretty crappy too - what bulbs do they take?

is it these ones?

http://www.ultimatemods.co.uk/509t-led-bulb-t5.html
                      Bought T5's for mine but they are too big.
                      Got some originals from Toyota at about £4.00 each. Usually takes a few days to get them in.

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post

Hi,
                        I've got a spare heater unit that I can send to you for conversion.
                        I'd like it done as in the pic you attached. How much would you charge?
                        Regards
                        Tony

Comment

Only "charge" will be post and any leds i have to buy in which aint much (prob about £3 per unit) of course if anyone feels the overwhelming need to cross my palm with silver i wont bite ya hand
                          seriously though just cover the post plus say three quid and that'll do, you'll obviously need to cover Stormy (or whoever) charge for the replacement unit +post as well, long as i can do em at my leasure, should only take a couple of evenings to do (each)
                          btw if anyone has the pin out for the heater wiring plug (save me stripping out mine to find out) i can prob wire the new leds onto the lighting pos & neg tabs, that way it'll be a straight change over and plug in, otherwise i'll just run the two wires out and you'll need to connect em to a dash light source (easyist would prob be the fag lighter)

if you want other colours than my unit let me know, what i did was replace the existing leds which show what function is "in play" (small slit light at the top of each push-button), add matching colour leds faceing into the back of each push-button (lights up the symbol's) cut away some of the defusers and add add leds to light up the slider controlls, plust red leds for the A/C button

the broken tacho board!!! as Vince said have a go at soldering it, if you have an iron with a small tip (antex cheapo irons do a 1mm tip for em from maplins)
                          it aint to bad to do, just scrape off any laqure from the tracks, lightly flux the tracks, hold the broken bit to the board and carefully apply a small solder "blob" to each side of the break, lay on a small piece of flux'd copper wire and solder it across the break, looks like you only have two to repair there from the pic, worth a go before buying a replacement!!
                          anyhow my address for sending the unit to is
                          ian price
                          2 cadnam lawn
                          warren park
                          havant
                          hampshire, po9 4eg
                          ian.price90@ntlworld.com
                          Last edited by POPEYE; 23 October 2010, 06:30.
                          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Bushwhacker & Popeye, thanks for the advice. I will give the soldering a go. Popeye, I would love the heater control mod done. I'll forward on a unit when I get my hands on one if you don't mind and square you up.

Comment

I will dig out all the heater controlunits i got here and let you all know how many i have.Growler,Hiroler and Puddle should be ok and i may have a couple more units aswell
                              i may even get the one in Lucifer done aswell
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                              X