Cylinder heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder heads

I'm looking at a 1991 Surf at the moment. Is there a way of knowing if the cylinder head is cracked vissually or by listening. Please forgive my ignorance.

Originally posted by Barnabyp
    I'm looking at a 1991 Surf at the moment. Is there a way of knowing if the cylinder head is cracked vissually or by listening. Please forgive my ignorance.
    Not really, I suppose the only sure way is to get it pressure tested. You could run it up to temperature to see if the coolants overflowing into the expansion bottle but this could be the stat or an airlock as well as the head. Another tell tale sign could be very low fuel consumption and /or lack of power (which i had a few days prior to mine going).

Bets bet get it inspected by the AA RAC etc including a pressure test but then it could show ok and then go 6 months later, make sure if its a dealer you are buying from make sure the warranty covers the head.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
      Not really, I suppose the only sure way is to get it pressure tested. You could run it up to temperature to see if the coolants overflowing into the expansion bottle but this could be the stat or an airlock as well as the head. Another tell tale sign could be very low fuel consumption and /or lack of power (which i had a few days prior to mine going).

Bets bet get it inspected by the AA RAC etc including a pressure test but then it could show ok and then go 6 months later, make sure if its a dealer you are buying from make sure the warranty covers the head.
      I agree with that especially the bit about the warranty.

Another way to check a badly cracked head is to start the engine up from cold and run it for 2 minutes. Shut down the engine and open the radiator cap. If the water bubbles out then you are getting combustion pressure in the cooling system as there is no way that the heat would have built up enough to increase the pressure. Make sure it is started from really cold though otherwise you will scald yourself with the hot coolant overflowing.

Cheers

Comment

check

my m8 is a mechanic has his own garage he has a device wich he put this blue liquid in and connects it to the radiator if the liquid turns bright yellow the heads gone i think it works on the gasses i dont know if you can buy them from motor factors but wot a handy tool mark
        black n tan
        black n tan
        yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

slydog has the easiest answer, but i don't suppose you can do this yourself while test-driving, i think the safest option for peace of mind is to go for a surf that has a UK history for a year or two, rather than a new import off a forecourt, or even better go for one that has had a head already replaced,. Mine is a '92 2.4td, it has been faultless, and mine was straight 'off the boat.'
          it's not as bad as it seems
          Last edited by stara; 30 September 2003, 21:21.
          [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

You could always dismantle the engine and send it to be pressure tested!
            Derek :
            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
            [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

After a run I see lots of tiny bubbles both in my expansion bottle and under the radcap.
              My engine isnt original, its a 2LT not the original 2LTE - whatever happened that who knows.
              I'm sure with a pump at work and the fact that the surf was built by
              humans that some air will always be involved hence the tiny bubbles.

I'm not worried (I swear)

Was about to suggest that maybe the 2LTE had more overheating probs than the 2LT but Koi's was a 2LT wasnt it. Was there an identical gasket for the 2LT as for the 2LTE.

Barnabyp to finish: I would like to upgrade from an SSR (basic model) to and SSRX (gadgets better) but wouldnt buy without seeing a pressure test done.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                After a run I see lots of tiny bubbles both in my expansion bottle and under the radcap.
                My engine isnt original, its a 2LT not the original 2LTE - whatever happened that who knows.
                I'm sure with a pump at work and the fact that the surf was built by
                humans that some air will always be involved hence the tiny bubbles.

I'm not worried (I swear)

Was about to suggest that maybe the 2LTE had more overheating probs than the 2LT but Koi's was a 2LT wasnt it. Was there an identical gasket for the 2LT as for the 2LTE.

Barnabyp to finish: I would like to upgrade from an SSR (basic model) to and SSRX (gadgets better) but wouldnt buy without seeing a pressure test done.
                jim, the engine block and head etc, are exactly the same, just the turbo and electronic side thats the difference
                [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                [size=5][/size]
                [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
                  jim, the engine block and head etc, are exactly the same, just the turbo and electronic side thats the difference
                  no their not, the heads are quite different, the 2lt has screw adjustable rocker arms, the 2lte uses shims. even the oil filter from one wont fit the other.
                  jim.b.

1990 SSR LTD 2LTE auto
                  1985 SR V8 4.4 litre manual

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi-jim
                    no their not, the heads are quite different, the 2lt has screw adjustable rocker arms, the 2lte uses shims. even the oil filter from one wont fit the other.
                    your right, casting wise they are same
                    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                    [size=5][/size]
                    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi-jim
                      Jim.

I thought that too however.......

On Koi's 2LT, the head was exactly the same as my 2LTE, i.e with direct action from the cam and no rockers. I think they may have changed the later 2LT's to use the 2LTE head. Koi's is definately a 2LT as all the injection stuff is very different from mine.

Trust Toyota to throw us a curve ball.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                      X