Newbie..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie..

Hey all, new to this forum and new to Surfs, just bought a 3.0d eith manual trans to (hopefully in the near future) tug a smallish boat around.

My car is black, 1994, has a winch underneath at the back (why at the back?!) has 75K miles on it and seems to be pretty much OK, it will need tyres before too long thought.

Ah, a question, it has 265/75/16 on at the moment but the door sticker states they should be 70 profile, should I drop back to 70's on the change or will it be OK with the 75's?

Cheers, I'm off for a look around your site.

Best regards

Alex

Hi Alex. Welcome. Im sure there are a few people on here who would like to see your rear mounted winch. Post some pics if you can. Regarding your tyres, I ran that size on my first Surf, with no problems apart from the speedo reading a bit slow. They were BFG AT's.....Cheers....Mick.
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Hi and welcome.The tyres will be fine as the sticker only states the standard size anyway.If they ain't rubbing anywhere then leave them if you don't mind the speedo being out slightly.Just use the satnav to see how far out the speedo is and then drive accordingly as thats what i do
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Funnily enough I've seen people use winches on the back to recover boat / trailer combos from seaweed covered slipways so they can avoid the misery (for them - hilarity for us) of their Range Rover been towed backwards into the harbour.

I actually saw this happen to a white soft top XR3i in Barmouth harbour once Me and my dad used to recover our boats with a length of rope from the tow hitch to the trailer so the car could stay on the dry bit of the slip.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

The difference in tyre profile will probably make the speedo read correctly. Mine over reads by about 5% on 70 profile tyres and I will be replacing them with 75s when they wear out.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! I will take pics of the winch and post them when I can, it is mounted underneath with a rope coming through the bumper above the tow bar, pretty neat fit but the switch is a bit iffy, it is an on=off=on but I need it to be momentary for safety really before I use it.

Where would you suggest buying a cam belt kit? I am in the trade so I can find them I think but if you guys have a prefered supplier I could try them first.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Comment

Cam belt kit here mate. Bought mine in June this year, all good quality stuff.
              'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Hello welcome
                “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Working...
                X