No announcement yet.

Barking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've spent the last 13 years there training their staff...

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
      I've spent the last 13 years there training their staff...
      Excellent.

Ooh, get you, 100 posts! Jelly and ice cream tonight then.

Comment

100 posts and not one of them sensible.

Comment

No probs - will get to it on Saturday.

Bit more complicated than my usual diagnostic check, which is as follows:

1. Turn key.
          2. If noise, good. Go to 5.
          3. If no noise, bad. Hit with hammer.
          4. If still no noise, swear loudly. Get bigger hammer and reboot diagnostic test. Go back to 1.
          5. Is there smoke? If not, retry diagnostic test, but this time in the Surf.
          6. Is smoke white? Excellent. Big noise-maker in Surf front, he make peace with White Man. Go to work.
          7. Is smoke black? If so, is there still noise? If not, go back to 1. If so, check for flames. If no flames, go to work. Drive faster to thin smoke, otherwise vision may be impaired.
          8. If flames, drive really fast to put out flames. By the way, flames look cool.

But do you know what the weird thing is - despite this sort of rigorous and regular maintenance schedule, I've had TWO heads blow on me in as many months.

Baffling.
          LOL

love it.

peace
          cal
          Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Vince,

Diagnostic codes registering are 21 and 28 - main oxygen sensor signal on left and right bank.

Whatever the hell that means...

Comment

Here it is... Bodywork is pretty beaten up, and the exhaust has a massive hole in it. But otherwise seems pretty good. Certainly ate up the M25 last night.
              Not bad for £395!
              Bring on November.
              Have to get myself one of these. Or the Soarer. Hmmm nice buy!
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

the thing is your not dealing with an oil burning mud plugger now, you are looking at probably one of the best production V8 engines that has been built over the last twenty years, a collaboration between yamaha and toyota, the two sensors you are asking about check the o2 content of the exhaust gases and adjusts the incoming air/petrol mixture via the ecu accordingly taking into account about 20 other engine parameters at the same time. It is possible to get replacements for these sensors and if you look on relevent lexus owners sites you will find methods of breathing new life into them and/or places they can be purchased from other than toyota this also applies to any other parts, however some parts are better obtained from toyota from a reliability point of view, especially when it comes to drive belt changes ie tensioner and idler pulleys also water pump not something you want to do twice if its wrong the first time.

Comment

Vince,

Diagnostic codes registering are 21 and 28 - main oxygen sensor signal on left and right bank.

Whatever the hell that means...
                  If you have a large hole in the exhaust near the sensors it'll be reading to much O2, and giving the codes because it can't alter the fueling enough to get a correct reading, or as above the sensors are knackered. Personally I'd change them anyway while its out so you can get to them easily, Can't speak for the Lex, but generally they are often rusted in.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Main 02 sensors are here, one either side near the exhaust manifold to CAT flange...

Just wondering if yours are actually there or not, as you say your exhaust is loud. Lexus exhuasts are so quite, you can remove both rear silencers and it doesn't get any louder!
                    The car would run rich if the 02 sensors are fubared, they might have been replaced and the codes not cleared.
                    Disconnect the battery for 20 mins to clear the codes, re-connect and see if they return.

If it turns out you need new ones, you'll need to check whether they are two or four wire sensors, just slit the sheathing o to find out.

Comment

the 02 sensor usually only gives an error code when its totally ferparred there are measurements that you can make to establish what is not happening, however the good news is when i had a custom built ss exhaust system made/fitted(4years ago) without the cats the o2 sensors are just strapped along side the pipes with nothing detrimental happening to the performance, the one drawback is that they must be good/working to be able to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by soramad View Post
                        the 02 sensor usually only gives an error code when its totally ferparred there are measurements that you can make to establish what is not happening, however the good news is when i had a custom built ss exhaust system made/fitted(4years ago) without the cats the o2 sensors are just strapped along side the pipes with nothing detrimental happening to the performance, the one drawback is that they must be good/working to be able to do this.

The secondary (post cat) 02 sensors are not needed for the engine to run OK, but without the main (pre cat) sensors, the engine will run horribly.

Comment

You can get universal 4 wire or 3 wire O2 sensors from your local motor factors. Just unclip and remove the old o2 sensor and crimp or solder the new one onto the existing wiring. Cut the old O2 sensor off on the removable wire / clip part so you do not interfere with the car wiring. This way you can clip in a Toyota o2 sensor if ever required. The universal one should save you some money.
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                          X