Warning Buyers Scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning Buyers Scam

Slightly new angle on web scam, the father in law is trying to sell his L***D Rover D****rey on the web after a large number of emails and a buyer purporting to be from Ireland made an offer of £6k unseen and said he would send a cheque for £10k the balance to be sent back with the transportation company. This sounds like the normal scam I know however the cheque looked a bit suspicious to the mother in law but, the father in law banked it anyway, bank threw a wobbler and now CID are involved. At least he's not out of pocket and has the emails as proof he's not dodgy, but if the deal seems too good to be true it has to be dodgy!!!!!!.
    Last edited by Stevie the Pieman; 1 July 2004, 17:18.

What? This looks curious...
    :

Comment

Curious because you not heard of it before, or do you have some info that might help, however the scam usually originates from outside the EU

Comment

Hadn't heard of it. I'm probably going to buy a Surf from UK. Who gets stung? If I understand correctly, the seller ends up with a rubber cheque and no jeep? If this is a new angle, what's the old/original one?

I'm assuming (yes, I know - can be dangerous, but the word does exist for a reason) that anyone on this forum with history/long membership/many posts who is selling a Surf, has an interest in not ripping anyone off?

Mark
        :

Comment

Apparentley the seller has been known to part with the goods and the balance refund only for the bank to bounce the cheque some 18 days or so after it appears to have cleared the sellers account.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie the Pieman
            Apparentley the seller has been known to part with the goods and the balance refund only for the bank to bounce the cheque some 18 days or so after it appears to have cleared the sellers account.
            You'd have to be greener than Shrek to part with goods before the cheque clears, and almost as green to take a cheque in the first place.

Comment

It does make me wonder. I really thought he was extremely street wise, but you learn every day.

Comment

Working...
              X