No announcement yet.

Pros/Cons, Advantages/Disadvantages, Likes/Dislikes of Manual vs. Auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a manual 2.4 and I have to admit that when stop starting in traffic, it can really start to get on your nerves! But, only to the degree of any manual car over any auto. I've only off roaded once so far, so can't join the manual vs. auto offroad capability arguement, although the majority of surfs there were auto and I didn't see any having issues with it (but there weren't any really steep descents!).

But, on the plus side it does make you feel good when people go "oo, a manual Surf, that's rare!". It's nice to be different sometimes!

And you get an extra pedal! Um, I'll get my coat.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
      However Tony did have a go at pushing on once... [/COLOR]
      hehe, Sumo's famous attempt at going offroading with only 2WD.

(and no, our one hasn't got auto front hubs Rick! )
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by silvtr1000
        He wouldn't ask the folk inside to get out and help?
        Why should I get out and get muddy when Tony seemed quite happy to push all on his own.
        BTW Tony I'm still looking for some manual locking hubs to replace my auto ones. (LA Supertrucks never got back to me) and Iv'e not been up to Leeds yet to obtain the set I saw on a trashed pick-up.
        If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by sumo
          Why should I get out and get muddy when Tony seemed quite happy to push all on his own.
          BTW Tony I'm still looking for some manual locking hubs to replace my auto ones. (LA Supertrucks never got back to me) and Iv'e not been up to Leeds yet to obtain the set I saw on a trashed pick-up.

I got two and both manuals and its good by me, personal choice but I prefer manuals.

Push on his own, right I'll leave you to it next time.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

with an auto you can take roundabouts while drinking coffe and smoking a fag without having the hassle of changing gear... leaving your left leg free to steer! and also don't have the hassle of forgetting what your driving and try switching to high range and putting it back in first!... oops!...
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

The main reasons I bought a manual were,better the devil you know(never driven an auto),autos more expensive to repair if anything should go wrong and more control off-road with a manual box.After reading some of the posts on this site,however,I think I could be persuaded to make the change to auto,mainly because my left knee gives me jip now and again,and would prefer an easier drive in heavy traffic.