Water collecting in the tailgate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water collecting in the tailgate.

So, don't know how I've never noticed this before, but I heard water sloshing about when I put the tailgate down. Took the cover off to look in, and sure enough about 1.5 litre of water lying in there. So, I need this out before any damage is done, but more importantly, living in Glasgow, we get a fair bit of rain and need to solve this problem asap.

Anyone had this before? I've only had this Surf about 5 weeks so far and although I did take the motor out the back window and replace it I done it without removing the mechanisms. All the rubber seems to be fine and if it is letting in any water I would doubt it would let in quite so much. Any ideas? I'm bamboozled. For now I'm just going to drive to the steepest hill in Glasgow and drain the dam thing out the top of the tailgate and then close it all up and take a hose to it and see if that show the problem.

It was all going soooo well.
    Love Surfs, know nothing.

I think ther should be drail holes in the bottom of the tailgate that could be blocked.If there isn't then just drill 3 or 4 drain holes along the bottom
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Drilling the holes wont have any adverse effects of corrosion etc over the years?

Cheers for the extra speedy response btw.

Comment

Nope, just checked and no drain holes in the bottom to be blocked.

Comment

make some holes and finish them with anti rust paint (zinc stuff)
          “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Originally posted by topsurfing View Post
            Drilling the holes wont have any adverse effects of corrosion etc over the years?

Cheers for the extra speedy response btw.
            As opposed to 3 pints of water in the tailgate????

Comment

If holes are drilled, then there would be bare metal left to water and air.
              1. Why has water got in there in the first place? Are rubbers corroded?
              2. If water is normal, then how is it supposed to drain away. If there are supposed to be holes then it would be better clearing those right?
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                If holes are drilled, then there would be bare metal left to water and air.
                1. Why has water got in there in the first place? Are rubbers corroded?
                2. If water is normal, then how is it supposed to drain away. If there are supposed to be holes then it would be better clearing those right?
                How water got in there is beyond me, the rubbers seem nice and spongy and no obvious corrosion that would create that kind of water intake. I really can't see any drain holes, so would like to find where it's coming before I go down that road.

I'll drain it by parking on a steep hill and letting it flow out the top with the tailgate down. Then get the hose out, spray with water and see what's happening.

Comment

Originally posted by s car go View Post
                  As opposed to 3 pints of water in the tailgate????
                  Yeah, yeah I know.

Comment

If you don't fix it, on a plus side at least you have somewhere to keep the goldfish next time you're at the fayre and win.

I don't know anyone with a pond in their Surf.
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                      If you don't fix it, on a plus side at least you have somewhere to keep the goldfish next time you're at the fayre and win.

I don't know anyone with a pond in their Surf.
                      Puddlesurfer had one

Comment

Not for long - It all fell out the holes!
                        “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                          Puddlesurfer had one
                          No I think that was Puddlesurfer in their pond!
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                            Puddlesurfer had one
                            Love fish, but not in my surf.

I was looking at your profile and see you sell Surf parts. Wouldn't happen to have a spoiler for my 2.4TD '93 SSRX, preferably in blue? Presuming that is that I can just add one onto a Surf that never had one?

Comment

Originally posted by topsurfing View Post
                              Love fish, but not in my surf.

I was looking at your profile and see you sell Surf parts. Wouldn't happen to have a spoiler for my 2.4TD '93 SSRX, preferably in blue? Presuming that is that I can just add one onto a Surf that never had one?
                              All i got a a green one thats got some scratches on it.I got someone waiting for the 1st blue one i get as it is at the moment
                              The spoiler will fit straight on and all you need to do is drill 4 small holes for the fixings and 1 bigger hole for the electrics to go through for the brakelight

Comment

Working...
                              X