Newby Surf Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby Surf Owner

Hi all. 2 weeks ago, I bought a Surf 2.4TD 1992.
    Last weekend it broke down. It threw 2 of the belts off without breaking them. RAC identifie that the Crankshaft Pulley was loose and called for a total lift to get the Surf home.

I was obviously expecting a flatbed to come out but what arried was a spectical lift. I questioned the driver re auto and 4x4 and was told that it if OK to tow Surfs as 4wd is selectable and that the fact that it was auto made no difference. He then proceeded to lift the front wheels and take us home.

Does anyone know if this is correct or should I expect to be in need of further repairs once I get it running again?

Cheers

Steve (Be-Bop)

Hi Steve, and welcome. I personally dont think you should tow anything with the rear wheels driving the propshaft through to the auto box for any great distance. Best practice, I believe, would have been to disconnect the propshaft....Cheers....Mick.
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Wasn't this covered recently? Transfer box in neutral, towing is OK.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Hello
        “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Hiya Steve and welcome to the forum mate.Just for further reference if you need recovery then tell them you need a flat bad as your not happy with it being towed.I have done this on a couple of trucks and even my old 3.0 and the recovery guys have been happy with doing it.
          Like i said in the email i got the couple of short blocks here if you want the pulley or even the complete bottom end.If needed i could always take the short block to Newquay for you and then you sort the pulley out as and when
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            Wasn't this covered recently? Transfer box in neutral, towing is OK.
            Forgot about that, Andy. Tfr box in neutral would mean no drive through to auto box. I stand corrected....Cheers....Mick.
            " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Thanks guys

Phew!!!!
              Thanks guys. I feel less worried now.

Comment

Working...
              X