vibration at speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vibration at speed

I have a 3.0L surf td and when i am at low speeds the ride is great but anything above about 50 mph and i start to get vibration and a little wheel wobble.
    I have Landair a/t traction tyres 31x10.5 r15 and had them balanced and have the pressures set at 32 psi. This doesnt seemed to have helped.

When i brake at speed she breaks straight and the wobble stops.

anyone have any ideas????

cheers

Mike
    Attached Files
    I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

It's your wheels mate. Take them off and give them to me.
    I had some vibration on mine at high speed (70ish & 85ish) and my wheels had been balanced and had 31psi in. I greased all the underside on the weekend and it seemed to have cured it. Maybe worth a go.

Comment

I read a post on here a while ago that there have been problems with something in the steering that only becomes apparent at 50+, either steering damper or bush and its hard to detect on the stationary vehicle. Try a search to see if anything turns up Mike.

Fish
      If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

Hi Taz do you mean grease the drive shaft nipples and stuff

Comment

Thanks Fish i did turn up something earlier something about putting a steering damper on if you use wheels over a certain size ????

Comment

Originally posted by Mike66
            I have a 3.0L surf td and when i am at low speeds the ride is great but anything above about 50 mph and i start to get vibration and a little wheel wobble.
            I have Landair a/t traction tyres 31x10.5 r15 and had them balanced and have the pressures set at 32 psi. This doesnt seemed to have helped.

When i brake at speed she breaks straight and the wobble stops.

anyone have any ideas????

cheers

Mike
            Mike, when they balanced the wheels, did they use a studded hub to balance them? I had new tyres fitted last october. They balanced them on a standard machine. First time on the motorway they vibrated at about 65. Went back, same guy did them again. He said they were out of balance but was sure they were ok when he did them first time. Again, first trip on motorway, wobble but not as bad. Found a guy localy to balance them using a hub attachment on the machine. They were perfect after that. 4x4 wheels needbalancing on a hub.
            Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
              .........Mike, when they balanced the wheels, did they use a studded hub to balance them? .......... 4x4 wheels needbalancing on a hub.
              Pete.........
              Don't know about all 4x4's requiring balancing on a hub, but the Surf ones certainly do. This is due to the manufacture of the wheel, often refered to as "stud-centric", ie its fitted location is centered by the wheel studs rather than by the centre hole in the rim as is normally the case. Hence when balancing them they should be centered as they would on the vehicle, ie using a studded hub adaptor as Pete says.
              Maurice
              Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I would also check to see if the wheel bearings are loose. This would explain the wobble going when you brake. Had this on mine.

Rich.
                If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

i had a surf in last month with the very same problem ,

went through the ussual balancing act and upon closer inspection it was a worn steering arm, this is easily checked by jacking the vehicle up, putting your hands at 3 and 9 o clock and moving short movements back and forth , if there is any movement without the steering wheel moving there is wear in the steering arm,

this can be due to bouncing up curbs or lack of grease and maintainence..

Comment

Originally posted by Mike66
                    Hi Taz do you mean grease the drive shaft nipples and stuff
                    Hi Mike.
                    Yep. I got a diagram from the Tech Links on the main site and greased what could.

Comment

Hi, I had similar problem but the tyres were the cause due to cavitation on the tread! I had never heared of this before but have beeen told this is common on 4x4's, as the tyures were badly worn I replaced with a new set of Yokahaha Geolander's and have cleared the problem, hope this help's
                      Stu.

Comment

All the tyres are new so I dont think its this.

Comment

Working...
                        X