2.4 diffs in a 3.0 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 diffs in a 3.0 ?

does anybody use 2.4 diffs in a 3.0 TD when using bigger tyres ? i am running 285/75 /16 ,aprox 33". Since i now seem to have a 2.4 diff in the front [long story]would it make sense to swap the back diff to a 2.4 or will that make it too low geared?

I was going to fit both 2.4 diffs into my old 2nd gen.
    I would fit the rear diff into yours or you will cause damage when you go off road and go into 4wd
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I've been doing exactly that, have a 145 back axle and matching front diff to go on my 3.0. Old axle / front diff are off the truck and I'm just waiting to wire brush / respray the back axle and fit new bushes before putting it all back together.

When asking about this it worked out that the 4.56 ratio gears would return the truck to almost stock revs per mph, whereas the 4.88 ratio would rev slightly higher.

This may help.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by wishbone; 3 September 2010, 21:56.

Comment

Maybe I have read your post wrong wishbone but a G145 is 4.875
        and yes it will make a 3.0ltr running 33s almost back to stock

A 294 or 295 very common in 3.0ltrs are 4.1

As Richard said you can't run unmatched diffs, billious
        Last edited by yoshie; 3 September 2010, 20:02.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
          Maybe I have read your post wrong wishbone but a G145 is 4.875
          and yes it will make a 3.0ltr running 33s almost back to stock

A 294 or 295 very common in 3.0ltrs are 4.1

As Richard said you can't run unmatched diffs, billious

Yep re-reading that post it doesn't seem too clear

I'm fitting a 2.4's G145 4.875 (usually referred to as a 4.88 on other forums ) rear and front diffs which will make my truck over rev by about 200 rpm on 33's (would make 35's run as stock)

There was an option of 4.56 gears which would have made my truck rev almost exactly the same on 33's as it would have done on the 31's with it's original 4.1 gears.

I asked TonyN about this as he's the only bloke on this forum that has real world experience afaik

Hope that makes things more clear.

edit - the axle code for the 4.556 (4.56 ) ratio is G254 also fairly common on manual surfs.
          Last edited by wishbone; 3 September 2010, 21:06.

Comment

i have the matching 2.4 rear diff so i think i will fit that. all i have to do is swap the ARB diff lock . thanks for the quick response

Comment

finally fitted the matching 2.4 rear diff, after waiting for the special tap to arrive for the air fitting for the ARB difflock, 1/4 npt is not a common thread. pleased with it so far. gearing is a bit lower with 33s but not bad at all

Comment

well done Billious.You'llhave to keep us updated on what the 2.4 diffs are going like in a 3.0
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                X