Canadian Heads...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Heads...

I enjoyed reading this, I must be bored...

http://forum.ivoac.ca/showthread.php?t=1593

has anyone thought about using a coolant with a higher boiling temp?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrbill View Post
      has anyone thought about using a coolant with a higher boiling temp?
      NO!! TBh I have not heard of this and as discussed many time on this forum, if your cooling system is looked after in all the usual ways, using the correct coolants, then you should not have a problem. As most of our trucks are aging now, chances are the damage to the head has already been done.

Cheers, Nick
      "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

It might be a good idea, except the 'science part' is wrong. Even 50:50 water antifreeze mix would boil at a higher temperature than 220F (104c) but that would be in the open air. Under pressure, the boiling point is raised substantially so you'd have to be seriously overheating before steam started forming.

That story is a nonsense. The only reason your engine would get super hot and boil the coolant would be if the coolant wasn't, well, cooling in which case you've got far bigger problems than can be fixed by reducing the water content.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick V View Post
          NO!! TBh I have not heard of this and as discussed many time on this forum, if your cooling system is looked after in all the usual ways, using the correct coolants, then you should not have a problem. As most of our trucks are aging now, chances are the damage to the head has already been done.

Cheers, Nick
          Agreed they are getting a little long in the tooth now, regrettably! I must admit I've kind of fallen in a big way for a 5th gen

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
            It might be a good idea, except the 'science part' is wrong. Even 50:50 water antifreeze mix would boil at a higher temperature than 220F (104c) but that would be in the open air. Under pressure, the boiling point is raised substantially so you'd have to be seriously overheating before steam started forming.

That story is a nonsense. The only reason your engine would get super hot and boil the coolant would be if the coolant wasn't, well, cooling in which case you've got far bigger problems than can be fixed by reducing the water content.
            Again agreed! I am due a coolant flush and all that goes with it but I am thinking of trying some sort of racing coolant, Just thinking about it mind. I'll take one look at the cost no doubt and quickly buy the usual

Comment

I might try this http://www.racestuff.co.uk/www.races...earch=&sought=

It is not cheap but I have got a 1500 mile round trip soon, the placebo effect might help my worry factor

Comment

Originally posted by Mrbill View Post
                I might try this http://www.racestuff.co.uk/www.races...earch=&sought=

It is not cheap but I have got a 1500 mile round trip soon, the placebo effect might help my worry factor
                That's fine if you have money to throw away. Just remember, you fill up then a hose goes or rad, you have to drain down or whatever, then it's another £57 to spend......................!

Just flush your system, make sure the rad, t/stat, hoses are ok, fill up with water + decent a/freeze, get the air out and away ya go. If you get a problem with the head, then it's because it was on it's way out anyway! Don't worry about it, if it's gonna happen it will, and you won't stop it

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick V View Post
                  That's fine if you have money to throw away. Just remember, you fill up then a hose goes or rad, you have to drain down or whatever, then it's another £57 to spend......................!

Just flush your system, make sure the rad, t/stat, hoses are OK, fill up with water + decent a/freeze, get the air out and away ya go. If you get a problem with the head, then it's because it was on it's way out anyway! Don't worry about it, if it's gonna happen it will, and you won't stop it

Cheers, Nick
                  Good advice thanks! Yeah, it could run into a small fortune!

Why worry, I have had no problems. OK, sorted!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                    Under pressure, the boiling point is raised substantially so you'd have to be seriously overheating before steam started forming.
                    I was going to write a long winded piece to explain why the steam comment was sh1te, but I couldn't be bothered. Vacuums, water hammer, exploding engines, all that good stuff...
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      I was going to write a long winded piece to explain why the steam comment was sh1te, but I couldn't be bothered. Vacuums, water hammer, exploding engines, all that good stuff...
                      Phewww, that would have been worth reading - honest!!!

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Don't know what is in the Evans stuff but I have used Redline Water Wetter in my (petrol) race engines over the years. It allowed me to use a smaller radiator than normal (and reduce frontal area). It seems to work pretty well.
                        Now I have a new head and radiator on my Surf, it may a good time to put some in as an 'insurance' against future problems.
                        Available from Demon Tweeks etc.
                        Cheers,
                        Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X