Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land Rover Show

I'm off to the Land Rover show at Manby tomorrow, hope they let me in
    I thought a good disguise might be to arrive on the back of an AA truck, then they might just wave me through
    Last edited by oneidadan; 25 August 2010, 22:57. Reason: Sneaky letters being in all the wrong places and stuff

Well, turned out to be a really enjoyable day. Everyone we met were very friendly and helpful. we went around the course in small groups with experienced guys on hand to offer tips or a winch cable.

There were a few other non-landrovers there, mainly a jeep, a couple of Fronteras and some Suzukis.

They had a great offroad course set up that got harder and harder throughtout the day as the course got worn and wet, some parts of the green course started looking harder than the red course by the end.

Also I think i've earned a 'Land Rover recovery vehicle' sticker

You can go for the day or weekend and they've got different activities on although most were being set up when we went today. They do guided greenlane tours as well for £5 although we didn't get to go because it was raining. This was the event we went to: http://www.lrshow.co.uk/index.htm

Comment

Nice to hear the old girl is holding her own.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by oneidadan View Post
        I'm off to the Land Rover show at Manby tomorrow, hope they let me in
        I thought a good disguise might be to arrive on the back of an AA truck, then they might just wave me through
        were at mate
        not that iam a lr lover but some of them landys get some good work done to em
        are you taking pics matey
        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Yup it did well. We didn't have to be retrieved by anyone. There were some hard sections that we got stuck in but we managed to find a way out eventually, a guy with a bobtailed disco with a huge lift and external roll cage said he was impressed with it, even more so when he found out it didn't have any front or rear lockers. And a guy in a Defender 110 we were following said he might sell his and get a surf.

We went round the course 4 times over the day and there was something brilliant happen on each one. First time on our own, then we led a Defender 110 then we followed the same Defender 110 and the bobtailed disco, then finally another bobtailed disco (that died) and an army looking defender pickup thingie with a soft top and a dog in the back and a lady that hadn't been off road before (and she did really well). Each time round was different and challenging.

There were loads of little stories like the first time round we got stuck in what we called the mud pit which was really tricky and the slight panic that starts to creep into your voice when no matter which was you try and get it to go it seems to want to get closer and closer to the edge of big drop and a very deep pond, then the relief when at the last minute it catches and flings you out the right way.

Then the 110 that looked like it was going to roll over twice, the instructor guy said it would have gone alot further before tipping, but if i'd have been driving it there would have been a stain on the drivers seat afterwards.

And the part where we'd got the hang of most of the obstacles, climbs, drops, mud, but the hardest bit was where you dropped into some wheelings then got carried off in the wrong direction, then having to reverse back up the track try and take a different line and hope the wheels didn't drop into them again.

So as you can probably tell from my ramblings that we enjoyed it rather alot.Unfortunately we didn't get many pictures. I forgot the main camera and my phone stubbornly refuses to connect to the computer so can't transfer them onto here, but we only took a couple. As we were going round in groups we didn't want to hold people up by getting out for pictures, although there was one section I wish we'd got video if it because it was brilliant (scary but brilliant).

The place is at Manby, Lincolnshire. Goes on till Sunday.

Comment

There were some very smart Land Rovers there, but it's open to everyone. They had a challenge event on in the evening and there's like a race/rally thing where they go considerably faster than we did over similar courses to what we did. they had a mud run too. There were different clubs there with different trucks also spotted a Unimog prowling around.

The guys that took us round had built there own bobtails, big lifts, made their own exocage and fitted big V8s in them, not mush seemed to trouble them apart from water.

Comment

Working...
            X