Alarms this time .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarms this time .....

It's been a couple of hours since I posted a newbie thread so ......

Thatcham Cat 1 Alarms -

What's the choices and more importantly what are the pitfalls ?

So far the only things I've worked out from doing searches are:

Microwaves aren't set off by wind unlike ultrasonic

I can utilise the remote to activate the central locking

What else can they do for me ?

Cheers (they're can't be many more stupid questions can there ?)
    Life is too important to take seriously !

Microwaves normally used in cabriolets as they move in the wind.

You can use the remote to activate the central locking and close the windows / sunroof

Also if you get a posh one, it'll email or text or page you if it gets nicked

Get a REALLY posh one and you can get tracker. A system linked to police traffic cars that let them know exactley where it is if it gets stolen.

IMO If they are going to nick it they will. Go for a low to midrange priced alarm. That way its a deterrent.
    Last edited by Danno; 28 June 2004, 21:03.
    I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

How much do you want to spend . These days alarms are more of a remote computer . They will close windows , half close the windows , fully arm alarm etc

The more you spend the more you get

Rick
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

The answer is - as little as possible commensurate with getting some useful functionality ....

Microwave sensor (My old Pug alarm used to get set off by air currents from the ventilation system !)
        Remote locking
        Remote windows & sunroof

How much and which manufacturer/supplier ?
        Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob
          The answer is - as little as possible commensurate with getting some useful functionality ....

Microwave sensor (My old Pug alarm used to get set off by air currents from the ventilation system !)
          Remote locking
          Remote windows & sunroof

How much and which manufacturer/supplier ?

sigma, gemini, clifford, toad all thatcham approved, from £200 to £££££££££ depending on what model and what you want it to do.
          Be aware that adding extras to some alarms void the thatcham warranty ie remote starting, extra LED's, window locking.
          Be careful of getting the windows and sunroof on remote locking, eg windows may close on positive and the slide could close on positive but the tilt could open on positive. Had this on a peugeot and when pressed the alarm remote the windows locked and the sunroof opened on tilt. Also need to note that if the car has a deadlock facility some alarms won't work this feature only locking the doors as normal.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Working...
          X