Newbie - radio mount query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - radio mount query

Hi all - I have had a 94 3.0 for about 18 months, and decided recently to get another Surf for my wife, who loves it. I made the mistake of buying a 2.4 - which blew up on the way back from buying it. Coolant pipe split, head blew, valve picked up and block killed. D'oh - buyer beware and all that. Long stroy short I now have a new 3.0 as well!
    Anyway, I have two new headsets for the 3.0's. But neither of them have the radio mounts from the old Jap headsets. In one I have just jammed the headset in with a universal DIN tray, and it seems to fit reasonably well and be fairly solid. But I was wondering whether it is possible to buy new mounts anywhere so that I can do the job properly on that one and with the new one?
    Any ideas? I had a bit of a look around, and the only suggestion that I can find is to buy an ally sheet and make a new mount. My limited DIY skills might stretch to that at a push, but does anyone have any pics of an install which might help light the way?
    Last edited by Koi; 24 August 2010, 07:49.

I made one out of some ally sheet, cut to size and shape with a single din radio hole in it, I used the cage from the new stereo to hold it all in place (with the bendy tabs they have) then I screwed it to the dash with countersunk screws and used some melamine type plastic over the top (with matching stereo shaped hole!) I used double sided tape to hold in place - sloted the stereo in - hey presto all looks good, no screw holes etc - I've also got a CB mounted under my stereo - sorry no pics
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

welcome dude
      i think ya can buy em from audio barn or simaler shops
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Just buy a pair of mounting brackets off one of the breakers here and fit it properly. You do know you have to remove the centre dash trim / glove box / bit under the steering wheel and fit the stereo, then fit the trim back over it ?

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
          Just buy a pair of mounting brackets off one of the breakers here and fit it properly. You do know you have to remove the centre dash trim / glove box / bit under the steering wheel and fit the stereo, then fit the trim back over it ?

Rob.
          thats me useing a bit of wood then
          am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Thanks all. Bit of DIY coming on methinks...

Comment

Working...
            X