How is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is it possible?

How is it possible that the Americans can build a 6.5 litre Turbo diesel engine and only get 200 HP out of it? admitidy it's got enough torque to tow a small country but even so...

I found this on ebay, while dreaming about exotic engine swaps:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GM-6-5-V8-TURB...es_CarParts_SM
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

they run for ever tho
    there engines aint made for bhp
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

I could be wrong or mistaken but here goes..
      Horsepower is "work" or the amount of work an engine can do. Torque is the turning force or strength.
      An engine can do more work with higher RPMs. These diesels dont usually have a wide RPM range. Like our trucks, power band from about 1500rpm to 3800rpm with most power between just over 2k and 3k.

Basically the engine is designed to have a lot of power low down for towing or pulling etc. I think the high compression means lower max RPM. Ours is something like 22-1 which is an immense ammount considering there is a turbo forcing air in.

I just looked up the engine specs on 'tinternet. MAX RPM from that engine is 3400.
      Originally posted by wikipedia
      engine was never meant to be a power and torque competitor with Ford/International and Dodge/Cummins, but rather a simply designed workhorse engine that made credible power, achieved decent fuel economy and meet emissions standards in half-ton trucks.
      The engine is apparently a Detroit Diesel? I'm not sure, but some of those engines are 2 stroke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyl9uinTICw
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Airport fire tenders..err..tend to be 2 stroke diesel. You get a lot more bang for your bucks. Very poor mpg and terrible emmisions are the downside. The Dutch fella who won his truck class with a daf on the Paris Dakar used a 2stroke diesel. If memory serves, it had around 1000hp from 12 litres and a MAHOOOOOOSIVE amount of torque.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Speed is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you go through it!
          Well, sort of!

Comment

Have a word with Simon {v8dieselpower} on SMC.
            He restores and runs chevy trucks at our club events, his smallest one runs a 6.2ltr diesel.
            He also restors lister diesel gennys, will give you some good advice.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
              Have a word with Simon {v8dieselpower} on SMC.
              He restores and runs chevy trucks at our club events, his smallest one runs a 6.2ltr diesel.
              He also restors lister diesel gennys, will give you some good advice.
              I can't afford to do an engine swap at the moment, If I could i'd be asking bushwacker, cos the lexsurf is awesome! I was just looking for alternative engines!

Comment

Working...
              X