• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Belt warning light

Hi All,

My timing belt light came on today

I know how to reset it

But should I change it? On the Tbelt cover there is a sticker (badly faded) that say's next belt due at 150,000km my car hit 140000km today (when light came on) so I shouldn't need to change it until next year.

If I do change it - like I know your all going to advise me to, shall I take the head off and look? Then replace this lot as well:

If I do it'll cost me £250 (Roughtrax)

Head Gasket 1989 - onwards £36.00
    Diesel head gasket set for fitting 2.4 cylinder head £31.99
    Head bolts £22.00
    Genuine Thermostat £16.75 (might as well while it's open)
    2.4 & 2.8cc Engine Cam Belt Kit £59.99
    Water Pump 2L/3L 2.4/2.8 Diesel Water Pump (might as well while it's open)

Then I'd better pray that the head itself is ok because my money situation is tighter than a camels ar$e in a sandstorm - should I? or should I leave it a month or two when if I need a head I can afford one.
    Who's got a good 2.4 head for sale?
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Why are you intending to remove the head?
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
      Why are you intending to remove the head?
      I forgot to say, I do get a bit of smoke on start up and lose speed up hills, It's probably not to do with the head just wanting to go too fast!

Comment

So...it's a 2.4 ( I had one, it smoked on start up). It lost power up hills as well. Unless your losing coolant, or your temperature is an issue, leave the head alone. Don't take it off just to look!
        The t-belt change is all that's needed.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

...and the tensioner.
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

water pump while it's all out and accessable?

Comment

Nope. Timing belt light is on, everything else is fine...leave it alone.
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

lol - not a bad plan - I am going to do a coolant change and major flush through anyway, thought it might be best to change the thermostat and water pump - I dont even know where the water pump is, I know something squeaks I'm hoping it's just a belt (I know the power steering slips a bit) I've already got the belts to change 'cos I bought them when I serviced it but never got around to them.

Comment

Stop wanting to faf about with it, its fine, do the belt & tensioner & leave it alone.

Actually have you thought about turning it into an amphibious surfs.
                  If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                    Stop wanting to faf about with it, its fine, do the belt & tensioner & leave it alone.

Actually have you thought about turning it into an amphibious surfs.
                    Actually making an amphibious car is kind of a dream for me!,
                    I was thinking MK1 Surf with no roof, doors welded shut etc would be cool, I really like these:

http://www.gibbstech.com/

but the daddy of all amphibious vehiles is this:

http://www.terrawind.com/terrawind.htm

Comment

There's one of those amphibious buses does a route near Glasgow, including a Clyde crossing that used to be done on a ferry. They reckon it was cheaper to get the floating bus than keep the ferry going!
                      Andy
                      http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
                        There's one of those amphibious buses does a route near Glasgow, including a Clyde crossing that used to be done on a ferry. They reckon it was cheaper to get the floating bus than keep the ferry going!
                        If I'd known that I may well have checked it out while I was up there for the last week or so.

Still, I'm sure I'll visit again at some point (probably next summer now).

Comment

Working...
                        X