Hopeful new Surfer - any thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopeful new Surfer - any thoughts

I currently have a defender that I am thinking of changing for a Surf. I have a few queries that I woudl like a bit of help with though.

1) In H2 is a surf rear or front wheel drive?

2) Will a Surf be able to tow a horse box with 2 horses in it?

3) Cos I am going to be using it to tow a horse box would I need the 3.0 ltr?

4) I read that the SSR-G is the top spec, is this true?

In case you'r wondering i am planning to change to a surf because of the following:

Better comfort, better space but still has that utility touch, better ride, better economy!

Elfstone

Originally posted by Elfstone
    I currently have a defender that I am thinking of changing for a Surf. I have a few queries that I woudl like a bit of help with though.

1) In H2 is a surf rear or front wheel drive? Rear

2) Will a Surf be able to tow a horse box with 2 horses in it? Would imagine so, but what does a horse box with 2 horses in it weigh?

3) Cos I am going to be using it to tow a horse box would I need the 3.0 ltr? Will depend on the answer to 2 above, the distances and type of roads you wish to travel etc. However if budget allows choose the 3.0 as running costs are virtually identical to the 2.4 (I'm assuming your only refering to the diesel models, V6 petrol available too...) with the benefit of the extra pwr & torque of course

4) I read that the SSR-G is the top spec, is this true? Yes, altough in practice many 'lower' models have so many options fitted they meet or exceed the spec of the 'G'

In case you'r wondering i am planning to change to a surf because of the following:

Better comfort, better space but still has that utility touch, better ride, better economy!

Elfstone
    Last edited by Morr; 28 June 2004, 13:48. Reason: Added a few bits...
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

TonyN tows his nag in a box behind a Surf..... sometimes he has the horse in it..... (sorry Linda)
      Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

Originally posted by Helen
        TonyN tows his nag in a box behind a Surf..... sometimes he has the horse in it..... (sorry Linda)
        Bwahaha.....put your handbags away girls

Comment

Originally Posted by Elfstone

1) In H2 is a surf rear or front wheel drive? Rear

2) Will a Surf be able to tow a horse box with 2 horses in it? Would imagine so, but what does a horse box with 2 horses in it weigh?

3) Cos I am going to be using it to tow a horse box would I need the 3.0 ltr? Will depend on the answer to 2 above, the distances and type of roads you wish to travel etc. However if budget allows choose the 3.0 as running costs are virtually identical to the 2.4 (I'm assuming your only refering to the diesel models, V6 petrol available too...) with the benefit of the extra pwr & torque of course
          The 3.0 and 2.4 have I think the same towing weight, the 3.0 will just do it better but the 2.4 is still a good towing machine with plenty of Torque. The towing weight is defined by the weight of the truck not the power of the engine.

4) I read that the SSR-G is the top spec, is this true? Yes, altough in practice many 'lower' models have so many options fitted they meet or exceed the spec of the 'G'

You will probably find you get better economy on the 3.0 if you are towing as it will be less stressed.

Cheers
          Andy

Comment

how much doea a horse weigh? i've always wondered that... i thought they'd be a couple of ton but you see them in 7.5tonners and transit boxes with all the gear... surely they're overloaded? what if the horse moves around?
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I have towed 2 x 17hh quite happily behind my 3.0TD from Basingstoke to Peterborough and back with the car fully laden for a friend when their LR was in for repairs. There wasnt a marked difference in fuel economy or performance over normal driving (but you wouldnt really mind if acceleration was slower or top speed (normally far too fast) was reduced as you dont accelerate hard or drive at ** mph with horses behind anyway! )

I previously towed with a 2.8 TD fourtrak and the surf coped much better!

@Helen!! Thanks a lot!! Actually TonyN has never towed my horses as I generally use a horsebox LORRY (I like the home comforts of the living!!). He's certainly never towed me!!

@Dabigman - weight depends on the size of the horse of course!! Come round some time and try to lift one of mine if you like..
              Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

@Helen!! Thanks a lot!! Actually TonyN has never towed my horses as I generally use a horsebox LORRY (I like the home comforts of the living!!). He's certainly never towed me!!

@Dabigman - weight depends on the size of the horse of course!! Come round some time and try to lift one of mine if you like.. [/QUOTE]

Linda - just had this picture of your pony tail hanging over the back of a trailer door..... Silly things make I larf !!! I've seen some real fab horseboxes around Hickstead...Winnebago's for horses....

Dabigman - you'll have a good idea of the weight if a 17hh horse stood on you...!!! or worse, fell on you!!! it ain't funny.... x-rays to prove..

Comment

[QUOTE=HelenLinda - just had this picture of your pony tail hanging over the back of a trailer door..... Silly things make I larf !!! I've seen some real fab horseboxes around Hickstead...Winnebago's for horses.... .[/QUOTE]

Oooh... now you'll start me dreaming... :drool: mines just an old Ford D series, but she's always been a horsebox and only done 50k since registration in 1978 (backed up with every service doc since 1980 when I bought her 12 years ago!!) Still I love my lorry, she's taken me all over the country, and been very cheap to run over the years, I redid the bodywork (original wood got too rotten) 2 years ago, and she also now doubles up as a car transporter for the pickup offroader (no longer registered)

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Horsebox on a Surf

Elfstone

There will be no trouble with two horses in a trailer. I have taken two horses..1 a cob and an arab in the trailer.See photo
                    Attached Files
                    Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
                      I have taken two horses..1 cob and an arab in the trailer.See photo
                      Did the horses eat the cob and the arab eat the horses ?

Rick
                      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                        [... mines just an old Ford D series, but she's always been a horsebox and only done 50k since registration in 1978 (backed up with every service doc since 1980 when I bought her 12 years ago!!)..
                        Good old D-series, terrific workhorses, Ford really lost the plot when they replaced it with the Cargo, downhill all the way.
                        Maurice
                        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
                          There will be no trouble with two horses in a trailer. I have taken two horses..1 a cob and an arab in the trailer.See photo
                          Its all relative. 150HP in front vs 2HP in the back!!
                          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                            Did the horses eat the cob and the arab eat the horses ?

Rick
                            Bwahahahaaaaaa!
                            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Elfstone
                              See what happens when you ask a supposedly simple question.... I think the answers are in there somewhere. Come join the madhouse...Good luck!!

Comment

Working...
                              X