Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki search, part 2

Hi everyone

Had my first test drive of a Suzuki Grand Vitara today, and I liked it, but didn't love it. I wanted to get a second (or third, fourth, fifth...) opinion of some of the items I wasn't sure about.

A) Centre of gravity: I currently drive an older style Mini, which completely sticks to the road. As this car is a lot higher, the centre of gravity threw me off a bit on the GV. Going round a roundabout felt a bit weird. Is that normal for a higher up car, and is it something I"ll get used to? I was surprised at how much it rocked when I hit a small bump in the road.

B) Clutch: When the clutch wasn't depressed, it was a bit loose. i.e. I could easily push it in about a inch or so before I really had to push it. Is that a sign of a problem, or is that something I don't need to worry about?

C) Gear stick: As my Mini's gear stick has a large range between where it sits in first and where it sits in second, I struggled a couple of times to find a gear when downshifting while slowing down. I figure this is something I'll get used to as I get to know the car.

D) Number of owners: The car is a T-reg, so 11 years old and has already had five owners. Is that cause for concern? The car just had an MOT, so it should be fine, I just thought that was a high number of previous owners.

Apart from that, there were a couple of aesthetic things that I noticed, but not deal breakers. And the guy seemed happy to do a deal with me, so I think I can get a couple hundred knocked off the price.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

is it the 3ltr v6?
    if so there not too bad
    nowt realy too much to look out for more than normal only the rust around to back end and archs
    they feel the bumps tho but most 4x4's that size do
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

It's a 2.0, the GV2000 model. Didn't happen to notice any rust, but to be honest, I didn't look that hard.

Comment

suzuki grand vitrar

Guess what i have bought a (2000) 20.td grand vitrar today!!
        Drives ok bit wobbley on bumpy roads

Quite nippy but limited power band so don't bother going past 2700rpm

long through gearstick

I've Got some bad rust around the strut top on inner wing so will be making a plate to weld in but has a seprate chassie so body rust realy a problem

But the cluch pedal is the same as yours only driven it for 30 miles and it is all ready driving me nuts! i am going to try and bleed it tomorrow if that dont work i am going to fit a spring on the back of the pedal to stop it floping about!!
        D
        Last edited by skinflint; 14 August 2010, 22:13.

Comment

Originally posted by skinflint View Post
          Guess what i have bought a (2000) 20.td grand vitrar today!!
          Drives ok bit wobbley on bumpy roads

Quite nippy but limited power band so don't bother going past 2700rpm

long through gearstick

I've Got some bad rust around the strut top on inner wing so will be making a plate to weld in but has a seprate chassie so body rust realy a problem

But the cluch pedal is the same as yours only driven it for 30 miles and it is all ready driving me nuts! i am going to try and bleed it tomorrow if that dont work i am going to fit a spring on the back of the pedal to stop it floping about!!
          D
          Ahh what a coincidence! See, it's the 'bit wobbly' that put me off a little bit. I suppose it's something I'd get used to after a while, but is it safe??

Also, the one I'm looking at has the soft top roof support bar in the back broken. The guy said I could probably look one up on ebay for around £60, but I don't know what to look up. I've tried 'grand vitara soft top roof bar/strut/support' and not found anything. Do you know what to try?

I know what you mean about the clutch pedal driving you nuts, I kept playing with it like a child with a loose tooth!

Comment

Hi, may I suggest this forum Suzuki Vitara as you are more likely to get the information you require from there.
            'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

suzuki grand vitrar

Hi well i bledd the cluch today and it solved the floppy pedal the fluid was black never been changed!!

As for the wobbley ride well after a 70 mile round trip it seams to be the way thay drive once i got used to it she felt quite safe and it don't wander about like my SURF the ride must be down to the 14inch shorter wheelbase

As for the roof bar just keep looking on ebay or try a suzuki car/4x4 breaker

Last edited by skinflint; 15 August 2010, 15:25.

Comment

Originally posted by skinflint View Post
                As for the roof bar just keep looking on ebay or try a suzuki car/4x4 breaker
                Hi Annie try these guys, they are japanese car breakers near Heathrow

http://www.jap-spares.com/
                “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Thanks guys!

Skinflint, glad to hear bleeding the clutch worked, as I know I'd be playing with it constantly. Not sure how to bleed a clutch, but I'm sure Dixie can do it. That's what he's there for, right? Also glad to hear you felt safe after getting used to the wobble, as that's my biggest concern.

Hi Pudds! Thanks for the link, good that they're right around the corner.

Also, thanks Scorpion for the link. I know I could go to a Suzuki forum, but as I know a few of the guys on here who have/had Suzuki's, it's nice getting info from people I know and not just some Suzuki fanatic who thinks everything is ace.

Think I'm going to test drive at least one more before making a decision, to make sure the wobbly I felt is typical and not just this one GV.

Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieOakley View Post
                    Thanks guys!

Skinflint, glad to hear bleeding the clutch worked, as I know I'd be playing with it constantly. Not sure how to bleed a clutch, but I'm sure Dixie can do it. That's what he's there for, right? Also glad to hear you felt safe after getting used to the wobble, as that's my biggest concern.

Hi Pudds! Thanks for the link, good that they're right around the corner.

Also, thanks Scorpion for the link. I know I could go to a Suzuki forum, but as I know a few of the guys on here who have/had Suzuki's, it's nice getting info from people I know and not just some Suzuki fanatic who thinks everything is ace.

Think I'm going to test drive at least one more before making a decision, to make sure the wobbly I felt is typical and not just this one GV.

Thank you!!
                    If Dixie needs help with it get him to call me.
                    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Working...
                    X