Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apache View Post
    No it wouldn't.
    explain how you would hold back the rust in water rushing around a surfs cooling system? with a magnet thats not got too much pull to do the ECU in
    Last edited by JUDWAK; 15 August 2010, 11:30.
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

I'll explain myself. A permanent magnet would have no effect on an ECU, unless the ECU was something odd running magnetic components such as a HD, then it might. The ECU in a Surf isn't, so it wont.

An electromagnet *might* cause problems, *if* its field were pretty huge and of an energising frequency the same as, or a harmonic of a clock frequency used within the ECU.

All electronics used in the EU have to conform to tests which generally cover low frequency EM interference (take a look at this if you're interested - part 4 covers military vehicles, but part 3 is all I can find on t'internet. The tests are basically the same, and there are several that cover AF Mag fields, and magnetic disturbance)

2004/104/EC covers domestic vehicles in much the same way but with less stringent limits.

The EM spectrum is my thing. My day job. So much so that I am in charge of our vehicle testing facility.
      Last edited by Apache; 15 August 2010, 11:39.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

i cant ready the link i have down loaded it tho
        how much magnetic power do ya recon it would take to do this?
        i realy want to read that link too
        coz i know ya know ya stuff matey

i do listen if someone in a position to preech

Comment

I reckon a permanent magnet of pretty much any strength will not affect the electronics on the truck. It will bugger compasses, possibly your watch if its analogue, any tapes or laptop drives etc, but solid state electronics will be fine.

An AC field... well, depends really. You aren't playing with AC fields so its probably not relevant. No way of telling without knowledge of frequency of the energising field, and the frequencies in use in the ECU. The distance, and metallic objects in the field, the polarity of the field etc are all factors.

If you can find a copy of 2004/104/EC and see what the commercial limts for magnetic interference are, that will give you pointers. Electronics can be screened too - use the same tinfoil you use for your hat
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

- use the same tinfoil you use for your hat
            $hit Andy, I just sprayed coffee over screen!!!
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I reckon a permanent magnet of pretty much any strength will not affect the electronics on the truck. It will bugger compasses, possibly your watch if its analogue, any tapes or laptop drives etc, but solid state electronics will be fine.

An AC field... well, depends really. You aren't playing with AC fields so its probably not relevant. No way of telling without knowledge of frequency of the energising field, and the frequencies in use in the ECU. The distance, and metallic objects in the field, the polarity of the field etc are all factors.

If you can find a copy of 2004/104/EC and see what the commercial limts for magnetic interference are, that will give you pointers. Electronics can be screened too - use the same tinfoil you use for your hat
              iam sorting it out so i can read that link
              ya sound right to me dude
              and leave mi hat out of this

Comment

have to agree with you there andy,i have always used a permenant magnet attached to my oil filter,ive never had issues with electronics playing up.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  Good, or people will get the hump with you when they flush the radseal out of their new truck and it overheats next motorway trip!

lot of bl00dy help you are.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

To fry solid state electronics, with a magnetic field, you need to generate a gamma ray burst. This gamma ray burst needs to be generated by a rapid collapse of a neutron initiated by hellic radiation. The force in tesla's is huge...somewhere in be region of 100.000 tesla's or so. George, this can only be generated by splitting a neutron and inducing a chain reaction. Currently we can only generate the tri-part radiation/chain/potential generation by means of an uncontrolled nuclear explosion...or mrs gwh's roast potatos as we refer to them in our house.
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

• Bugger, who let the geeks out?

Comment

• Well since matt left cyber world and sawthe sun, the general level of geekery has fallen to defcon 5.

Now has anyone seen my copy of anorak monthly...
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                          Well since matt left cyber world and sawthe sun, the general level of geekery has fallen to defcon 5.

Now has anyone seen my copy of anorak monthly...
                          Is that Flashers anorak or trainspotters anorak monthly..
                          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

• It's an all encompassing, flashers mac/train spotting/wearing your wifes trollies type of publication...stein is a subscriber.
                            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                              It's an all encompassing, flashers mac/train spotting/wearing your wifes trollies type of publication...stein is a subscriber.
                              I thought he was the editor!

Comment

• Come off it Tony - everybody knows he can't actually READ ...

If it wasn't for all the smileys on here he wouldn't have a clue about what's going on !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
                                X