No announcement yet.

heads up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had many Surfs in with either heads gone or seize bottom ends due to bad servicing.

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that 80% of the trucks with head problems had lights fitted to the front of them.

Coincedence?

Well I will leave that up to you to make your own minds up.....

Lets just say I never fit lights to my trucks and have never had head problems.................. oh cr@p I bet I've just spoken too soon

Flushing the system will help as the water ways fill up with rust and gets slowly blocked, I'm sure the tech guys on here can vouch for that, how many times has the head been taken off and rust seen blocking part of the waterway.

Thats my thoughts anyway
    If at first you don't succeed.........give up.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
      Does anyone do a progressive setup for an electric fan where it comes on slowly at say 92 degrees, goes medium speed at 96 degrees, and full chat at 99 degrees (just guessing the temps) ? That would be a good solution.
      I've seen that on big fixed power generator diesels. The fan speed seemed to be continuously variable, not stepped. I expect they use PWM motors and vary the drive pulse width in proportion to temperature. I dont know why they did it like that because it seemed overcomplicated and electrically noisy. Maybe 'because they could'?
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Justbrad View Post
        Flushing the system will help as the water ways fill up with rust and gets slowly blocked, I'm sure the tech guys on here can vouch for that, how many times has the head been taken off and rust seen blocking part of the waterway.

Thats my thoughts anyway
        I've just had a new boiler installed by british gas, the engineer installed a magnetic sludge trap, that works something like this:

http://www.cheapcentralheating.co.uk...-plumbing.html

Possibly a good mod for Surfs?
        “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Its just a properly working viscous fan, if its set up propely, you shouldn't get any noticable change in engine temps. Which is the argument against basic electric fans, you have a fixed on and off temp, put the to points close together and the fan will be switching on and off all the time, being noisy and sucking engine power, make them further apart and the engine temps cycle up and down unhealthily.

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          I've seen that on big fixed power generator diesels. The fan speed seemed to be continuously variable, not stepped. I expect they use PWM motors and vary the drive pulse width in proportion to temperature. I dont know why they did it like that because it seemed overcomplicated and electrically noisy. Maybe 'because they could'?
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

A few years ago when we first started having overheating problems I made enquiries with Kenlowe and they were quite adamant that their fans weren't powerful enough to replace the OEM Surf fan and should only be used as additional cooling ...

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
              I've just had a new boiler installed by british gas, the engineer installed a magnetic sludge trap, that works something like this:

You shouldn't need it on a properly looked after Surf, it goes back to the orginal subject, you don't get sludge on a well looked after engine. Badly mixed coolants or head gasket/head issues cause crap in the cooling system.

Any truck with crunchy hoses has/has had head issues, the exhaust gasses cause corrosion of metal parts of the cooling system.It might be useful on these, as you'll struggle to clean it out, but remember your coolant has different chemicals and occasional higher temps than a heating system, so not sure how it'd last long term.

A blocked rad is virtually impossible to clean, as there are so many alternative paths for the water to flow, so you never get any pressure to shift stubbon crap in core.

Comment

it would work
                but
                the amount of magnetiic feild to hold rust back in a surf would be quite high
                the water will be running at such a speed you will need a very powerfull magnet
                ECU would pack in first with a magnetic feild like that under the bonnet
                am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

It was just an idea, the one on my boiler system is made of brass so would withstand hotter temps.

Comment

It was just an idea, the one on my boiler system is made of brass so would withstand hotter temps.
                    its quite a good one to be honest
                    it would have to be too powerfull of a magnet
                    (magnets are my thing)
                    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                      Its just a properly working viscous fan, if its set up propely, you shouldn't get any noticable change in engine temps. Which is the argument against basic electric fans, you have a fixed on and off temp, put the to points close together and the fan will be switching on and off all the time, being noisy and sucking engine power, make them further apart and the engine temps cycle up and down unhealthily.
                      That'll be why they've come up with these continuously variable fans then! Nice idea, poor execution in that case though. They failed EMC testing because of those fan drivers!

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                        ECU would pack in first with a magnetic feild like that under the bonnet
                        No it wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                          No it wouldn't.
                          Go get him tiger.
                          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

here we go again!!

Judwak is in da house, take cover.....

Comment

George, have you switched your magnet on ? My Surf's moved about three inches north in the last hour !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

I think this is what british gas installed:

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products...em-filter.html

Comment

Working...
                                X