3rd Gen Transfer Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen Transfer Box

hi guys im sure(know) ive got a 3rd gen surf, but am abit confused about the way the transfer lever it set out as it seems similar to a 2nd gen.

heres a pic

Cheers Andrew

Yeah, it's a 3rd gen with 2nd gen 4wd system.(no centre diff so don't use 4wd on the road!)
    Avabanana on here also has one.

Comment

ok i had a feeling that would be it. is it just the transfer box thats the same? or did they use anything else?

Thanks for the quick relpy

Comment

You might have 15" wheels too, if so then it'll have the smaller 2nd gen brakes.

Comment

nah its got 265/70r16 alloys

Comment

Don't be so sure about the brakes - those wheels don't look like OEM so ...

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

how would i know if its got 2nd gen brakes? will a 15" wheel not fit if its got 3 rd gen brakes.

Its got ABS

Comment

What side is the front propshaft on, passenger or driver's?

Comment

passenger side. when looking under it from drivers side, the prop is the far side of the gear box

Its got a steering rack and 3rd gen type front suspension.

Comment

Hmmmm, so it's got 3rd gen running gear but not the centre diff.
                    If it has ABS then it'll have 3rd gen brakes as well.

Comment

seems like it, ill get some more pictures tomorrow. so it seems like its just the transfer box which is 2nd gen.

do all 3rd gens have single batteries?

Cheers Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by farmerboy4 View Post
                        seems like it, ill get some more pictures tomorrow. so it seems like its just the transfer box which is 2nd gen.

do all 3rd gens have single batteries?

Cheers Andrew
                        nope the second battery comes with the winter pack which includes heating in the rear.

my 3rd gen has 2 batteries, just depends on options taken

what model is your surf, ssrg, ssrx etc
                        If it can be broken it can be fixed

Comment

jesus!!!!

glad i read this post
                          i thought that all 3rd gens could be driven on road in 4x4.
                          the transfer lever is on the opposite side to where it was in my 2nd gen so i thought its ok , now it could explain why when recently the 4x4 was enganged accidently and the drive felt strange when turning slowly..

i have abs and the larger 16inch wheels
                          so what is the ulimate way to check which i have .

cheers boys

Comment

Originally posted by iceman View Post
                            glad i read this post
                            i thought that all 3rd gens could be driven on road in 4x4.
                            the transfer lever is on the opposite side to where it was in my 2nd gen so i thought its ok , now it could explain why when recently the 4x4 was enganged accidently and the drive felt strange when turning slowly..

i have abs and the larger 16inch wheels
                            so what is the ulimate way to check which i have .

cheers boys
                            have a look on the back of the surf and see what model it is, my cousin has just bought a 3gen but its the base model so has the same drive setup as yours.

I didnt know there was no centre diff with that setup, I assumed you just could not lock the diff.

If so Deff dont use it in 4wd on the road unlesss there is a loss of traction, snow, very loose road surface etc or it may wind up.

Hopefully someone will confirm that there is deff no slip diff on that setup.
                            If it can be broken it can be fixed

Comment

the letters on the rear don't mean nothing really as it comes down to what the Japs want as extras in the truck.
                              My 1999 ssrx surf is intercooled but doesn't have the winter pack and has the gear selected lights on the dash.
                              Originally i thought it was the early 3rd gens that had the 2nd gen trans set up but as i found out recently the later models also have it.I suppose toyota built so many of the 3rd gen surfs with the 2nd gen set up as standard
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                              X