Fuel filler / breather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel filler / breather

When I unscrew my Fuel filler, It does sound a bit like a can of coke being opened, shouldn't there be a breather to stop this?

Instead of unblocking the breather on the fuel tank, is there any reason why I cant just drill a hole in the filler cap?

That would effectively give me a breather which is much higher that standard (ready for next avalanche, when I'll get stuck in 3 feet of water)
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

get a new cap, can't be more than a tenner. H

Comment

I don't think that'll sort it. Puddlesurfers right it will be the breather on top of the tank is blocked. Yep, just drill a hole in your fuel cap or just don't do it up all the way.

Comment

I've just drilled a 2mm hole in the centre of the cap, so hopefully that should sort it, worst case I need a new cap at some point.
        “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

The breather goes around the tank and into the chassis it gets blocked with mud
          ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

I've got a problem too....

I've been losing power recently and think it could have been some contaminated cooking oil that was causing the fuel filter to become blocked. When I took the filter off it wasn't bad at all but I changed it anyway. The problem is that the primer on the fuel filter housing is getting sucked down and only when I release the butterfly at the bottom and does the air run back in and the car is sorted for a while. Now even that does not help. I was about to run out and change the filter again (always keep a few at home!) but this thread got me thinking...Could my fuel tank breather be blocked and if so how best to get at it and unblock it?

Comment

I just came back from a short run and it happened again. I undid the diesel filler cap and expected a rush of air but nothing happened. Got back in and its still the same. I guess it must just be the filter that is vacuuming due to crap in it. I've driven using veg oil for 30-40,000 miles in the last couple of years and have got through 4 filters in the last 6 weeks so this is becoming a concern. I'll go and change it again now and look for any replys with other ideas in an hour.

Comment

There is a small filter in the side of the fuel pump on the 3.0l.Have a search on here to see how to take it out.Its not a hard job to do and is done with the pump in situ
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Even after just changing the fuel filter the housing primer stays down when running and seems to severely restrict the fuel flow. If the fuel filter housing was was u/s would that cause this problem? Would it be unwise to temporarily bypass the fuel filter altogether to find help to eliminate the fuel filter hosing as the problem?
                  Last edited by Bathafarn; 12 August 2010, 13:05.

Comment

You can try and see if it works and if so then it would be the primer thats knackered i should think

Comment

You could try by-passing the fuel filter housing n try that BUT please put an in-line filter in before ya try it....
                      Failing that do as Stormy has said earlier .....
                      Good Luck

By god Rich ya quick

Jess
                      "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
                      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                        You could try by-passing the fuel filter housing n try that BUT please put an in-line filter in before ya try it....
                        Failing that do as Stormy has said earlier .....
                        Good Luck

By god Rich ya quick

Jess
                        "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
                        gotta be quick Jess cause i only got 394 post to make the magic 20k..

Comment

Just ordered an in-line fuel filter from my friendly motor factors and should be able to pick it up at 4.30pm. Fingers crossed. If it is the housing where's the best place to pick one up? Milners don't stock them at all for the KNN130.

Comment

The 2.4 and 3.0 primers are the same.I should have a good one at the unit for £15 delivered

Comment

That's good to know. I'll get the bypass completed this pm and come back.
                              Cheers. Doug

Comment

Working...
                              X