Fan belt/alternator help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan belt/alternator help please

Well some of you might remember the alternator/battery problems I was having with my 3.0TD surf last month. We've made progress!

2 x new batteries (under warranty)
    1 x new alternator
    1 x new fan belt

And it's up and running. However....

Fan belt worked its way loose (don't ask me how!), so husband tightened it up. 1 week later, fan belt snapped (suspect he overtightened it). Limped the surf back home to the driveway. Fortunately I had a spare fan belt, so sent husband off to fit it.

Sadly husband is not a mechanic and much swearing followed.

He wasn't exactly sure how to do it or what to do, managed to get it vaguely fitted, but then couldn't get the alternator back in place.

Here's where it gets worrying...

He took a file to the alternator bushes (apparently) to make the alternator fit more easily. Alternator back in place with fan belt attached, batteries charging, no problem.

Next morning, fan belt is squealing, so out he pops with his toolkit and tightens it up again. Great, I think. Except it doesn't sort out the new whirring noise (yes, that's me, technical as ever) that kicks in at 2200rpm. And the fan belt still squeals on a cold start (warm start is fine). Noise stops after 2-3 mins.

So here's my questions:

Firstly, how tight should the fan belt be? If it's squealing, is it likely to be too tight or too loose?

Secondly, any ideas what the whirring noise is? Husband thinks it may be where he filed the alternator bushes (I expect there's a technical term for them, but hey...), that the alternator is now sitting at a very slightly different angle and the fan belt isn't running quite right. Can we do anything about this now? Or any other suggestions? It's quite loud, drowns out most of the engine noise, starts at 2200rpm approx, then seems to die off at 2500rpm (or maybe that's when the engine noise takes over!).

Thirdly, I have a sneaking suspicion that my turbo isn't kicking in properly (haven't heard that whistle for a few days, since he last tinkered with it). I haven't dared mention that to him, 1 thing at a time. It may be that the whirring noise is just covering up the little whistle it makes. Would a not working turbo be causing the whirring noise? Are there any long term implications of running with no turbo (other than being down in power which I can live with)?

And finally, is there anyone nearby who might be able to take a look (Reading area)???? Yep, being very cheeky there but money is tight as I desperately need to get the other car fixed and sold this month, so money for the surf is non-existent til September. Can offer beers/cups of tea or coffee/choccy biccies etc, just can't afford garage labour at the mo.

All ideas welcomed, but please can I have any technical descriptions in words of 1 syllable and preferably with diagrams or pictures. Yes, I really am that stupid.

Thank you all in advance
Working...
X