• turob/power/diagnostics/bulbs/rubberhoses

hello all,
    i have a problem, and all advice would be appreciated,
    may i drink from you fountains of knowlage,

what ive got,
    2.4 auto , ssrx,

what ive done recently,
    oil/air/fuel filter change.
    checked all rubber hoses/ replaced some wich look a bit worn, made shure all rubber hoses (including the turbo relay one) are connected correctly.
    run red-ex thru her, and sprayed turbo cleaner up the air inlet pipe (supposedly cleans all air pipes/turbo)

disconnected battries & ecu fuse to clear all codes/ problems

my problem,s,

it all started a few years ago, i noticed on motorways i had a lack of power goin up hill,s but only some times, it seemd as if the turbo would cut out if i slowed down (traffic) but would not re-engage when i sped back up (no whistle and no green light!) but this would only happen some times,
    now fast forward a few years, the same thing has started happening on normal roads.
    driving along get to 2000 revs, turbo whistles, green light comes on feel the power surge, and some times the turo carries on doin what its meant to do, and some times it cuts out and i feel the loss of power, truck then crawls along at the speed it got up to, and if im goin up a hill the it slowly loses speed,?? its only an intermittent,if i can take my foot off accelarator, let the revs die down, the turbo seems to kick back in? (main problem)
    now ive tried to run a diagnostic on her to try and locate problem area (got me paper clip all ready) but!!! having never noticed it before when i put the key in, the engine warning light/picture does not light up?
    one dashboard dismantling episode later, and found out no light bulb in socket, so popped the suspension hard/soft light bulb in the engine warning light socket,and!!!!! nothing still no light still no joy still no diagnostics still no power
    i have noticed that in the fuse/rely box there is a hole where the fuel heater relay should be ? would this make any diffrence to engine warning light?

seems the problem has built up so maybe scud on a sensor?? maybe mass air flow?? (where is it) but before i go any further i would like to hear any advice from you guys,

sorry for waffling on, but i think ive coverd it all now,

thank you

I'd be looking for a fuel delivery problem, turbos work on the exhaust gas being recycled through the system forcing more air into the mix basically, so the harder you accelerate the more boost you get from the turbo, unless it fails mechanically, then it just won't work properly at all. I think these have the turbo boost sensor to prevent overcooking these small turbos so I'd look at this too but if it just seems to lose power and engine, turbo and air intake system are sound then its down to fuel, either quality or quantity. H

Comment

cheers
      im trying to get my hands on a turbo pressure sensor at the moment, fuel ? well just running normal derv ? was running on bio for a while, but was smoking like a bonfire, so im back on derv now,
      any ideas on the engine check light not lighting up ?

Comment

Originally posted by gmoncrag View Post
        smoking like a bonfire
        That sounds very wrong to me. Mine runs loads less smokey on veg oil than derv. Doing a quick google on solving diesel engine problems suggests:
        Too much fuel going through? Knackered turbo? Turbo sensor?

I don't know enough about diesel engines to offer much help I'm afraid but I'm sure some other folks will be along soon to offer help and advice.

Comment

sorry forgot to mention on start up, back on derv only little somke on start up ?

Comment

it is possible its over boosting intermittantly
            I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

took her on the motorway today, and i get the turbo boost, great! up to about 80 ish, then turbo cut out, and dropped to about 60, and turbo would not engage, untill pulled off motorway, got to junction, when pulling off turbo engaging again? seems once it cuts out it dont want to come back on ???

Comment

bit of a tricky one this,but try a different turbo boost pressure sensor,and also check your waste gate actuator make sure the diaphram is not perished and the actuator moves freely,if the turbo is overboosting this will set the ecu to limp mode,i think 12 psi is the limit on the ct20 turbos. as for the bulb? you say you have a 2.4 well the bulb you reffer to is the red led next to the green turbo boost led for fault diagnosis.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

ahhh food for thought there
                  and the bulb next to the turbo ive never spotted that one before its never lit up, i thought it was the one under the battery and fuel gauges, well it looks like a engine check light when you take the dash off and hold it up to the light (you know when you get so fixated on a single job and over analise, and miss the bigger picture!!)
                  looks like another dash dissasembling mission for me!!! to check the other light that you have pointed out, well you live and learn,
                  ill check all and report back with my findings, thanks for all the info so far guys

Comment

I wouldn't bother with the light, the light isn't doing anything but alerting you to a problem, I'd be looking at/trying the sensor first to see if it solves the issue. You already know something isn't working right. H

Comment

ummmph, well orderd turbo pressure sensor off e-bay, fitted and truck goin great guns on normal roads, took her on dual carrage way no worries, normally turbo would get to about 2000 revs then cut out, but with the new pressure sensor turbo would boost no worries,
                      BUT then just as i was pulling on motorway, the ###### turbo cut out again arrrrgggggggg!!! thought it was fixed,
                      so next on my list is the waste gate actuator, i know where it is, next to the turbo, looks like a flying saucer but how do i test it? ?? looks like there is a rod from it going in to the turbo housing somwhere ?

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by gmoncrag View Post
                        ummmph, well orderd turbo pressure sensor off e-bay, fitted and truck goin great guns on normal roads, took her on dual carrage way no worries, normally turbo would get to about 2000 revs then cut out, but with the new pressure sensor turbo would boost no worries,
                        BUT then just as i was pulling on motorway, the ###### turbo cut out again arrrrgggggggg!!! thought it was fixed,
                        so next on my list is the waste gate actuator, i know where it is, next to the turbo, looks like a flying saucer but how do i test it? ?? looks like there is a rod from it going in to the turbo housing somwhere ?

cheers
                        i think what i would do is to move the rod about 20mm then clamp a pair of mole grips onto the rod against the actuator housing,just holding the waste gate open a bit and then go for a drive and see if it improves.obviously there wont be as much boost but just see,if it continues boost or not.
                        www.overfab.uk

Comment

hmmmm well got the heat shield off the turbo so i could get at the actuator and the rod, and ive bee spraying wd40 in it and ive greased the movement arm and the rod, took her for a spin up the m6 and all good, im not counting me chickens yet, but fingers crossed it may have been a stuck actuator, ill keep you guys updated, thanks for all the comments and advice,

craig

Comment

Working...
                          X