Rtrax / KS springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rtrax / KS springs

Received my new coil springs (std uprated) today from Roughtrax, and they are KS springs. Is this normal, or have I caught them during a shortage from their normal suppliers ?
    I believe someone mentioned that KS are the sister co of Milners..
    3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Sorry, I've thrown out the boxes that my springs came in and I can't remember what the name on them was.

Regards
    TFB

Comment

Mine just had big pics of coils on the box and the words "Coil Springs" "made in Sweden" on it.
      HTH
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by malxwal View Post
        Received my new coil springs (std uprated) today from Roughtrax, and they are KS springs. Is this normal, or have I caught them during a shortage from their normal suppliers ?
        I believe someone mentioned that KS are the sister co of Milners..
        KS International are Milners sister company, they are near me in Ruislip, and I popped in there for parts the other day.
        “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

aaaaahhhh mr wolfracer, this may explain why your uprated springs did not give you 2" lift over your standard springs , if they have sent you milners equivalent uprated springs then they are 20% stronger not 2" lifted as you were after , hence why it has only levelled it out
          PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post
            aaaaahhhh mr wolfracer, this may explain why your uprated springs did not give you 2" lift over your standard springs , if they have sent you milners equivalent uprated springs then they are 20% stronger not 2" lifted as you were after , hence why it has only levelled it out
            Close, but no cigar....
            Mine are deffo from sweden, as per the literature on the RT web site...well, at least the box is....

Who's to know where those coils of steel originated from. Other than pulling them and comparing to some more we will never know. Still got to jack up the body to see the rest of the travel on the springs.... Will post on this and my other thread (2" not enough...) the result.
            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Hmm, well these springs are orange, not blue, and don't mention anything about Sweden on the box, so wouldn't be Lesjofors I imagine. I just hope they are of decent quality and will last...
              3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Put the springs on about 12 days ago (the cars been sat in the drive since), and when I jacked up the back end today, they went slack, as if offering to fall out. Will be phoning Roughtrax on Monday to discuss, as old ones never did that, even though the truck rode a wee bit lower with them...
                3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

I did mine about a week ago - Roughtrax +2" springs, They were black and came in a Lesjofors box (so I assume they are Lesjofors!) they took my surf slightly above what it should be as standard (about .5") The ride is definately harder but there is no lift, could the ARB be stopping it going higher, I know they needed serious winding up with the spring compressors to get them in.

Its seems to me that there is a bit of an issue with Roughtrax springs, lots of people are saying the same thing, they are not really giving a lift just fixing the saggy ar$e - are we doing something wrong?

It doesn't help malx, I guess he's just got a dodgy set

Comment

The back of the truck is still riding higher than with the original springs I took out, which didn't do that. The new springs were only a tiny winy bit longer than the ones I removed, but definitely of thicker cross section steel, so how come they have settled so much? Definitely still riding better though..
                    We'll see what Roughtrax have to say....
                    3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Originally posted by malxwal View Post
                      The back of the truck is still riding higher than with the original springs I took out, which didn't do that. The new springs were only a tiny winy bit longer than the ones I removed, but definitely of thicker cross section steel, so how come they have settled so much? Definitely still riding better though..
                      We'll see what Roughtrax have to say....
                      My new roughtrax springs were definately thicker too, and they had 7 complete coils instead of 6 - they're black - roughtrax part code was SU005 - I havent jacked the truck up since so I don't know if they have loosened up - I'll try tomorrow and let you know - BTW when I got mine I expected them to be much longer than the original ones - so I phoned Roughtrax to check they sent the right ones, I was tld by the fella on the phone that they only do one type of spring now 2" lift version SU005
                      Last edited by puddlesurfer; 21 August 2010, 21:54.

Comment

Mine are deffo a lot stronger with weight in the back - they just don't sag. Its just the plus 2 aspect i wasn't happy with. Definitely a lot stronger springs though, and not a hard ride by any stretch.
                        Got coil spacers to fit to sort out the rear once and for all! The combination of HD springs and 2" spacers should hoist the rear significantly.

Here's the respense i got from Barry, I hope he doesn't mind me posting it, it is a non specific reply and assume you would get a similar response. Mods please delete if this is inappropriate to post....

"The codes on the coil boxes are correct, Lesjofors manufacture them for us John and we don’t supply a standard height coil spring for the LN/KZN130 Surf so the product received are the correct ones we would supply for a 2” lift..
                        The springs have been designed both left and right handed so I presume they have been fitted correctly, KB5400 being the right and KB5401 the left, obviously we have to ask you to check this first as it wouldn’t be the first time they have been put in wrong, even by fitters.

We supplied both a standard set of new coil springs from Toyota and a lifted pair from Pro-Comp to our manufacturers is Sweden over 3 years ago, the spring rates were electronically tested and a pair of 2” oversize coils produced based on Toyotas original coils hence why we also are the only supplier using 2 different height rear coils, infact we even asked for another 10mm per coil to be added on the initial sample batch .
                        The coils are considerable thicker than Toyota’s original coil wire used, therefore they do not collapse as much under load giving the lift. Maybe worth checking the wire diameter on the coils removed John as they may not have been the originals, as mentioned ours will be thicker diameter wire.
                        We supply the same springs for both our 2” full suspension lift kits without any height issues John and are confident of our product especially over the many hundreds that have fitted and sold not just throughout the UK but worldwide.

Of course we try to address ant issues that arise on any product but the coils are our most popular selling suspension component and we have no other alternative product to offer, however if you are still unhappy with the coils and you wish to return them I will accept them back John.

Kind Regards
                        Barry"
                        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Cheers for that info..I'm sure they get loads of queries regarding ride height based on peoples' expectations. My ride height has improved, and it's a better ride, not stiff either. But, the springs should not offer to fall out at not even full articulation of the axle. These springs are KS springs ie Milners', coded as SU034 front, and SU004 rear for KZN185 supplied by Rtrax, which makes me dubious of the quality (why I went to Rtrax in the first place). I may have to exchange for +2" ones if this is the only way to avoid such issues..
                          Last edited by malxwal; 21 August 2010, 22:15. Reason: more info
                          3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

I just realised your truck is a KZN185, mines a LN130 - but I'll still check tomorrow for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X