Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving on-road in 4wd

Hi folks.

I got a 1998 3rd gen 2 weeks ago, but I'm aa little bit cagey about driv ing it in the wet after killing the last one (my nerves will eventually settle down).

I'm tempted to use the 4wd in the wet on the road (tarmac), but I'm hearing that I can damage the transfer box badly doing that, as well as chewing up tyres and using twice the fuel.

Are all of the abve true, and what damage will I actually do, if I use it on the road in 4wd?

if you got a 1998 3rd gen then you should be ok to use 4wd on the road but saying that some later 3rd gens still have the 2nd gen style trans box with out the centre diff.If you got the centre diff then you will be ok to use 4wd all the time
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I've no doubt that others will confirm/deny this but I'm sure I've read on the forum that 3rd gens can be used in 4wd on the road without a problem (might be worth searching for towing advice cos I reckon thats where I heard it mentioned...)

Comment

You can drive on the road with the centre diff in the open position, dont move the 4x4 shifter, just press the button.
        The wheels illuminate orange on the dash display and i believe the centre diff light of the same display stays unlit.
        Wait I'll go and have a look and come back.
        私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

OK
          4WD stick all the way to the left and up (2HI-4HI)
          Press the 4WD botton and the wheels in the display will illuminate green and the diff will remain unlit
          this is the "open" centre diff position allowing the front and rear wheels to spin at different rates.

BTW - the green wheel lights will flash till the 4WD is engaged. This should happened in neutral or within a a few meters in drive.
          私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Working...
          X