Gen 3 Cooling system advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 3 Cooling system advice

My 97 3.0 had a dribbling radiator cap when hot. I have changed that for a new one marked 0.9 bar (same as old one). The cap no longer leaks, but now the bottom hose has a leak at the engine end when warm. The temperature gauge never goes beyond halfway.
    The cooling hoses are held on by spring clips which look OE fitment, rather than the screw type. Would it be worth replacing these or am I at the beginning of cylinder head issue?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Would replace the hose and fixings as it cant be helping any cooling problems and changing the cap just pressurised it as it should be and its showing weak points.

Rob
    The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Originally posted by wiggy View Post
      Would replace the hose and fixings as it cant be helping any cooling problems and changing the cap just pressurised it as it should be and its showing weak points.

Rob
      Totally agree with this and don't go by the Toyota gauge, I knew they were inaccurate from the posts on this forum and others but you don't realise how bad until you fit an aftermarket gauge, it's a real eye opener.
      Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Shalershasker View Post
        Totally agree with this and don't go by the Toyota gauge, I knew they were inaccurate from the posts on this forum and others but you don't realise how bad until you fit an aftermarket gauge, it's a real eye opener.

my toyota gauge reads the same from warm, 50 degrees, up to 100 degrees, at 100 the toyota gauge starts creeping up....

Comment

Originally posted by markp2 View Post
          My 97 3.0 had a dribbling radiator cap when hot. I have changed that for a new one marked 0.9 bar (same as old one). The cap no longer leaks, but now the bottom hose has a leak at the engine end when warm. The temperature gauge never goes beyond halfway.
          The cooling hoses are held on by spring clips which look OE fitment, rather than the screw type. Would it be worth replacing these or am I at the beginning of cylinder head issue?
          Thanks,
          Mark
          Just had similar problems with my 94 3.0 surf and i got the bad news today but must not grumble she has been great fun for the last five years so i bit the bullet and got a reputable garage to fix the head which comes with 2 years unlimited warranty which i don't think is to bad, just keep on top of your maintanence,oil, filters ,water ..........muzz

Comment

Originally posted by muzz View Post
            Just had similar problems with my 94 3.0 surf and i got the bad news today but must not grumble she has been great fun for the last five years so i bit the bullet and got a reputable garage to fix the head which comes with 2 years unlimited warranty which i don't think is to bad, just keep on top of your maintanence,oil, filters ,water ..........muzz

True, plus aftermarket temp gauges start from only 12 quid, so it's no excuse not to fit one really.

Comment

i noticed again on mine while driving home from Essex on Monday that while driving slow through London the temp was up virtually into the red again and on any hills the temp would creap up again.
              I think i will do the sniffer test as i am getting a bit worried now that on 3 trips towing the temp goes virtually to the red.
              On a flat run it drives perfect and the temp stays just below half
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                True, plus aftermarket temp gauges start from only 12 quid, so it's no excuse not to fit one really.
                Hey Bushwhacker, i think i'll have to fit a temp gauge where is the best place to get them and how easy to fit....muzz

Comment

Originally posted by muzz View Post
                  Hey Bushwhacker, i think i'll have to fit a temp gauge where is the best place to get them and how easy to fit....muzz

Anything that takes your fancy on Ebay really, any of them will be more acurate than the stock Toyota gauge.

This one seems good and easy to read at a glance, comes with it's own sender (which they all should to be honest)...
                  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meter-Gauge-WA...item5888d07bb1
                  There's normally just three connections to make:
                  Earth. Anywhere metal near the dash.

Sender. You'll need to unscrew at fit the supplied sender. (Possible an earth connection for the sender too, a convenient place somewhere on the engine for example.)

Illumination. Tap into the sidelights wire at the multiplug under the steering column shroud.

Digital ones start at around 25 quid if you want more acuracy though, and will need their own fused 12v supply.

Don't forget you'll need a pod to mount it in if you don't want to chop your dash about.
                  http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...52mm+gauge+pod

Comment

here's mine

http://www.rspec.co.uk/index.php?mai...roducts_id=309

you still need the oil cooler if towing, normal driving the car is fine they're just not made to tow heavy loads due to the design of the coolant system.

Viscous fan needs servicing too, silicone oil from here:
                    http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.ph...n&ItemID=28539

Hazzo
                    Last edited by Hazzo; 5 August 2010, 12:35.

Comment

afternoon all

recently done my additional atf cooler (13 row) and re-filled my viscious fan (now works as it should.

Towing the van down the Somerset this saturday for the first time since I did the work - confident that temp gauge will behave itself.

One thing I have noticed tho, is that after coming in from work, about 35 miles, once I switch off there is a bit of bubbling in the expansion tank. She doesn't use any coolant and there in no trace of oil or atf in the water & the water pump is fine (changed with cambelf about 4k miles ago)

do i need to worry and is it worth gettting a sniffer test done on the expansion tank

maybe being paronoid, but that doesn't mean they're not after me

ta

hawaii
                      I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

this is the one i bought http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=120585666724 and upto now its been fine i also fitted a boost gauge and fitted them in a universal twin gauge pillar pod
                        Last edited by tonupteabag; 5 August 2010, 14:40.
                        I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

One other thing to consider.
                          The cooling systems on 3rd gens are notoriously problematic, apparently.
                          Give the system a good flush.
                          私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Cheers Goran i will give that a try next week when i have time
                            Good to meet you and the mrs last weekend aswell
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaii View Post
                              afternoon all

recently done my additional atf cooler (13 row) and re-filled my viscious fan (now works as it should.

Towing the van down the Somerset this saturday for the first time since I did the work - confident that temp gauge will behave itself.

One thing I have noticed tho, is that after coming in from work, about 35 miles, once I switch off there is a bit of bubbling in the expansion tank. She doesn't use any coolant and there in no trace of oil or atf in the water & the water pump is fine (changed with cambelf about 4k miles ago)

do i need to worry and is it worth gettting a sniffer test done on the expansion tank

maybe being paronoid, but that doesn't mean they're not after me

ta

hawaii
                              Bubbling-as in air I'd be getting it checked, at least for an air lock, gurgling=water in -water out I wouldn't worry it is an expansion tank after all. And dont forget to let us know if these mods made a diff to towing temps, as I haven't towed mine yet but its coming soon H

Comment

Working...
                              X