4x4 on 93 ssxr 2.4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4 on 93 ssxr 2.4?

Afternoon all! Iam a newbie surfer and have a ? straight off!
    Just bought a 93 ssxr 2.4 and got little info from the dealers.
    What the hell is going on with the 4x4? what position should the gear knob be in for normal driving, is the 4x4 on when the button is in or out? should the button be in for normal driving or out?
    Sorry for being thick but its my first 4x4!! HELP

Originally posted by sheppieboy
    Afternoon all! Iam a newbie surfer and have a ? straight off!
    Just bought a 93 ssxr 2.4 and got little info from the dealers.
    What the hell is going on with the 4x4? what position should the gear knob be in for normal driving, is the 4x4 on when the button is in or out? should the button be in for normal driving or out?
    Sorry for being thick but its my first 4x4!! HELP

is it manual or auto, when the button is depressed the light on the dash will illuminate and 4wd is selected. On the manual the the 4wd selector should be back towards the centre arm rest/cubby hole. As soon as you move it forward it will automatically select low 4wd, irrespective if you push the 4wd button in or not.
    Just don't select 4wd on tarmac, you should only select 4wd on surfaces that will allow wheel spin, ice, mud, wet grass, sand.

For more info look here http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...ht=wheel+drive
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

ive read that article before, its informative but i need more help. its an auto but there has never been a light on the dash, ive been playin in the mud but still cant work it out! should the 4x4 knob be in neutral during normal driving? Is 4x4 selected only when i move 4x4 knob towards dash?
      Last edited by sheppieboy; 26 June 2004, 15:48.

Comment

Originally posted by sheppieboy
        ive read that article before, its informative but i need more help. its an auto but there has never been a light on the dash, ive been playin in the mud but still cant work it out! should the 4x4 knob be in neutral during normal driving? Is 4x4 selected only when i move 4x4 knob towards dash?
        The 4x4 lever shd be at the 4H (or H) setting with the button OUT for normal 2WD road driving.
        Depress the button and 4WD H will engage - that is sufficient for most offroad terrain.
        To select 4WD Low ratio move the 4x4 lever to the 4L position this will work regardless of whether the button is in or out.

When the button is depressed a light shd appear on the dash to that effect. If it is not appearing and 4WD is working then a problem with the bulb/fuse etc. If the car is not in 4WD with the button depressed then the fault is with the 4WD

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

thanx linda, it all makes sense now! Better go get my fuses and blubs checked!

Comment

this is very helpful as i have similar issues. when i press the 4x4 button, no light comes on. i can however here a click noise and same when i press it off. i have tried going backwards and forwards etc. i then tried leaving it in 4x4 and changing to low L4. when i did this a got a dash light with AT/P or similar. i took this to mean that the 4x4 worked and the inital light for 4x4 did not. one reason for been concerned is that i have what is no doubt a common problem. my 4x4 button rattles and i have shoved some paper in the gap. my worry is that one day i will inadvertanly engage 4x4 preventing the rattle.

Comment

AT/P is a warning to show that you have the 4wd selector in neutral and the P on gear selector will not lock the wheels so you gotta use the handbrake
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
              X