Veg oil and heat exchangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veg oil and heat exchangers

I'm running the Surf on a high (!) percentage mix of veg oil, and so apart from dosing with petrol, I am going to fit a heat exchanger, and spotted this item, the HE3:
    http://www.biotuning.co.uk/ShopHeatExchangers.htm

With the 12mm water and 8mm fuel standpipes, can someone tell me if it will suit the existing fuel/coolant hoses on 3rd gen, just to save me taking the hoses off! I would fit it inline to the heater matrix, unless someone has a better suggestion ?
    3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

I bought one of these a few months ago having searched the forum and seeing that several forum members had fitted them in the past and reported positive results.

I combined it with one of these but haven't fitted them both yet cos I haven't quite got around to it (it is summer after all so 100% veg isn't a problem).

I'll do it before the end of the summer!

The sizes you quote sound about right but it's always worth taking the time to measure up on your own Surf just in case yours is different for some reason (either yours or mine has been modified at some point, etc)

When I tried reducing the viscosity of the SVO with petrol my engine really didn't seem happy with it at all. It "misfired" and there were pulses/surges of power that jerked the truck forward or it would stall. It seems fine on 100% veg or any mix up to 100% diesel.

Dunno how it compares to what you're looking at but I found this heat exchanger the other day on eBay too.

Comment

I should post this in the sticky thread on veg oil as well....
      I'm up to 95% SVO, 5% petrol, with only increased turnover to start, and lumpiness once cold start has backed off...fine once driven a mile or two.
      I will fit a heat exchanger, but that doesn't get past the Winter cold start issue, and I can't see a fuel pre-heater totally nullifying the effect of cold starting (-3∘C regularly here), but I will probably fork out for one of these
      http://www.dieselveg.com/diesel-therm_dhs12.htm
      Could place this directly before fuel pump.....
      3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

Working...
      X