Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does 'no claims' last

...if you dont have a car??

I'm seriously considering getting out of car ownership for a short while. At the moment I'm just not using the GT-Four as I dont really go anywhere. The only time I use it is when I go to visit folks in Liverpool, and then I could use Vicki's car.

I'm really enjoying getting back into cycling and use it for work as its only 15 mins (same as in the car).

So my question is, if I dont have a car, how long does my full no claims bonus status typically last? I guess I can ring Flux and ask, but I thought I'd throw in a bit of chaos and ask for rumour and conjecture

I do have someone possibly interested in swapping a 3rd Gen for the GT-Four, but it might not be for a while so I just thought I'd check my options
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Well, I've left it 3 years before and it's not been a problem.

Comment

Cool. I imagine it could be down to your future insurer really.

Comment

A swap for 3rd gen you say, hmmm very tempting
        Brian

Comment

I had one insurer inform me that NCD that isnot on a vehicle is only valid for one year. I'm just about to find this out myself as the Surf runs out today, and I'm not planning on renewing for a few months.
          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
            A swap for 3rd gen you say, hmmm very tempting
            Really??

The deal wasn't a STRAIGHT swap Bri, and I know what you're like for your 'bargains'!!

Comment

It depends on the insurer, some are one year, some 3 but most seem to be 2 years.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Was just speaking to my own insurance company so I took the opportunity of asking for you. The nice lady at NFU told me that 2 years is the norm and she wasn't aware of any other insurers being any different.

Alan
                If at first you don't succeed,
                Destroy all evidence that you even tried.

Comment

You can extend past two years, but you have to pay a fee and fill in some forms and prove you still drive a ' vehicle' not sure if your Mil stuff would count ?
                  Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Hmm thinking about this too as apparently UK based companies wont recognise insurance out of country, dont know if this is true or not but you got me thinking as this will make it 3 years over here and i would be a bit miffed if i lost all my no claims

Hey John you still over this way next month
                    Last edited by wiggy; 29 July 2010, 15:30.
                    The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

yeah two years seems to be the usual.
                      buy a registered chassis from something like a mini or 2cv and insure it to keep your NCD valid.
                      ive been doing this with a 125cc bike frame as i wasnt riding the past two years.

Comment

Originally posted by wiggy View Post
                        Hmm thinking about this too as apparently UK based companies wont recognise insurance out of country, dont know if this is true or not but you got me thinking as this will make it 3 years over here and i would be a bit miffed if i lost all my no claims

Hey John you still over this way next month
                        Hello Rob,

Yes we fly out on the 13th to Naples got a deal from East Midlands ! Keep trying to convince myself it will be a bit cooler by then however the locals have just laughed at me !!!
                        Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Working...
                        X