Front brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brakes

I finally got my replacement surf. It's a green 1998 kzn185 with 187k km, which isn't in as good a condition as my old one, but it'll get it there.

I had to get new discs and pds for the front, which Roughtrax supplied me with.

I dropped it into a garage to get them fitted, and the guy quoted me 1 hour labour (€50) which I felt was ok.

He then started on about hw it may be €20-€30 more if they needed to "free out the bearings", which he's apparently had to do to these before.

Is this a common fault, or is he leading me on?

Sounds dodgy. Disks and pads is easy. No need to go anywhere near any bearings.

If he means free up the pistons on the calipers, there is sometimes a need to do that if you've got uneven pad wear, but to do it properly means servicing (or in serious cases, replacing) the calipers.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Thanks for that. I thought that it sounded dodgy.

He definitely said bearings, not pistons.

Comment

He's probably thinking second generation which requires hub/bearing removal to replace discs. Not necessary on the third generation as far as I know.

Nev

Comment

It turns out that Nev is right; the guy was used to dealing with his friends '95 surf.

All done, with brakes bled and something done with some pipe (I'm soooo technical, amn't I!!), €70. Add €100 for the disc, pads and postage, the whole job cost me €170 (£140).

Comment

Working...
          X