Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• egr

how long does it take to blank the egr?

i want to do it before friday, but have yet to buy some steel to cut down to the pipe size.
    My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Originally posted by che2318 View Post
    how long does it take to blank the egr?

i want to do it before friday, but have yet to buy some steel to cut down to the pipe size.
    If I were to do one again and everything came apart as easily as mine did (spray PlusGas or similar dismantling lubricant and it should be ok) it would probably take me a couple of hours tops, but I am pretty slow and methodical when it comes to working on mechanical type stuffs. If I was to get a move on with it it shouldn't take more than an hour. I think someone posted something the other days estimating how long the various procedures during EGR blanking take and it seemed reasonable to me.

I took a whole afternoon doing it the first time, including parking up and letting the engine cool (poured lots of cold water over the turbo, etc!) attempting to cut the EGR blanking plates out with hacksaws, coping saws, a dremel and eventually I just went out to buy an angle grinder cos they're useful to have.

Plus, finding things in my dads garage is always an absolute nightmare cos he has a filing system for things in his garage that no other human being could ever possibly fathom. Including him. He always tends to put things away in places that seem like a good idea at the time and then forget where they are when he tries to remember... bless him.

Comment

ive read the posts on the topic...

am i right to believe that you just have to unclip the pipe...remove the gaskets, cut out metal to shape of gaskets, replace gaskets and put plates over them.

is this it?

or is there more to this than meets the eye....

Comment

...or just block the pipe. Same outcome.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

so if its zip tied, i dont need to do anything else. just whack a zip tie or two on and thats that....

may do that for the short term since i need it doing before friday.

Comment

ive read the posts on the topic...

am i right to believe that you just have to unclip the pipe...remove the gaskets, cut out metal to shape of gaskets, replace gaskets and put plates over them.

is this it?

or is there more to this than meets the eye....
            Don't forget to add a wee bit of the high temp gasket sealant stuff from Halfrauds (or similar). I don't know if this is entirely necessary but I did it anyway to make sure I got as good a seal as possible.

EDIT: I also re-used the original metal gaskets too given that they were in nigh on perfect condition.

Follow Bushwacker's link to the 2.4 go faster stuff for more info.

Also, THIS is quite useful too.
            Last edited by Rustinho; 26 July 2010, 16:53.

Comment

Go faster 2.4 stuff here...
              http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/performance.htm

Comment

thats a sweet write up.

ill dig around for some steel and see if i can put together some home made ones.

one question...on that write up you put the pipe back in.....do you have to do this or will the plates be enough to blank it out.?

Comment

thats a sweet write up.

ill dig around for some steel and see if i can put together some home made ones.

one question...on that write up you put the pipe back in.....do you have to do this or will the plates be enough to blank it out.?
                  Depends on how thick the plates are. I used 5mm mild steel plate and that seems to be thick enough. I see that others have used 2mm thick steel which is no doubt easier to work with but replaced the pipes.

I got my steel plate from a seller on fleabay (I did try to get some off a mate at a steel works but they recycle everything these days and don't get much in the way of "off cuts")

Comment

hi all
                    can i ask what bennifits removing this does
                    cheers
                    daz

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...51&postcount=7

Comment

a friend is cutting me some plates of steel to use, should be picking them up tommoro.

then ill have to blank the egr in the night when its cool.

i put sealant on both sides of gasket, put gasket on, then blanking plate, then pipe...correct?

fingers crossed the bolts come out easy enough, last thing i want is a sheared bolt the day before i travel to north london!

Comment

a friend is cutting me some plates of steel to use, should be picking them up tommoro.

then ill have to blank the egr in the night when its cool.

i put sealant on both sides of gasket, put gasket on, then blanking plate, then pipe...correct?

fingers crossed the bolts come out easy enough, last thing i want is a sheared bolt the day before i travel to north london!
                          The hardest bit of this job is getting the pipe off the turbo side of the head//###### nightmare as you've very little room to manoeuvre, and if the nuts are seized it makes things worse.

In the end I undid the handbrake assy' (have to do the clips on the cable under the truck too to give some slack) and moved it out of the way. It'll become apparent when you try and get the nuts off.

BTW mine is a 3.0l dunno if they are any easier on the 2.4s..??

Comment

If thats the way you want to do it, yes. If you have thick enough steel plate (like I said, I used 5mm thick plate) you really don't need to put the pipe back on again.

Just as an additional bit of info - the bit of the EGR system that is just behind/below the turbo was a bit awkward in terms of access to the lower of it's two bolts and I ended up sawing the pipe off to improve access prior to removing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                              If thats the way you want to do it, yes. If you have thick enough steel plate (like I said, I used 5mm thick plate) you really don't need to put the pipe back on again.

Just as an additional bit of info - the bit of the EGR system that is just behind/below the turbo was a bit awkward in terms of access to the lower of it's two bolts and I ended up sawing the pipe off to improve access prior to removing it.

baking powder?

the egr is on the fuel filter side of the engine, the pipe is not near the turbo?

mines a 2.4

Comment

Working...
                              X