Removing stubborn oil or fuel filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing stubborn oil or fuel filters

Trying to get the oil filter off earlier (which had apprently been hand tightened by King Kong) Tried using my usual filter wrench (chain type) and a variety of other methods (including an embarrassingly lame attempt to stab it with a screwdriver) all to no avail.

Then I shouted at it a bit.
    Still didn't budge.

Its a bugger to get any of the side wrenches on with how its placed on the 3l so went down to Screwfix and got one of these.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...=null&ts=88698

Feck me its the best £12.50 I've ever spent! Put it on the filter, attached a socket wrench with extension and it came undone soooooo easily.

Sure most of you more spannery types know full well about these but anyone who doesnt and is planning a service... get one.

(and only do the feckers up hand tight after changing)
    Last edited by biosurf; 24 July 2010, 17:35.

Had one of those for a few years now, awesome bit of kit, just don't do em up with that! Hand tight is good enough.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

they are well good had a few of them over the years and have never let me down much better than the old chain type ones

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
        Had one of those for a few years now, awesome bit of kit, just don't do em up with that! Hand tight is good enough.
        Your avatar is meant to be animated I believe. Please sort this out. Then post more.

Comment

One I have is a Draper, good quality.
          Alan

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
            Your avatar is meant to be animated I believe. Please sort this out. Then post more.

mmmm, dunno how to..
            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
              mmmm, dunno how to..

Would have origanly been a .Giff before resizing, resize and the upload again oO

peace
              cal
              Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

I found these are great for oil filters, but the arms on mine aren't long enough to get hold of the fuel filter, there's a little tube that comes out the bottom of the filter that means you can't get it close enough

Comment

Drain the filter using the tap underneath then you can unscrew that tube.

Comment

Originally posted by Calos View Post
                    Would have origanly been a .Giff before resizing, resize and the upload again oO

peace
                    cal
                    What are the images sizes - I have tried to upload an animated gif but all I get is a still image.
                    Doh 100 x 100 or 24 k
                    Last edited by Vultch; 25 July 2010, 14:31.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Working...
                    X