Help :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help :(

It seems I've ruined my nearside drive shaft.
    The offside shaft makes noise on the hub when driving - even when the hubs are unlocked. I pushed the truck in neutral and can see that every so often the offside wheel seems to grip the shaft somehow and make a rubbing noise inside the hub. I have the AVM hubs from roughtrax.

Attached is a picture of the nearside shaft when we took it off today. This is the part that fits into the outer CV joint. The outer CV joint has lost ALL it's bearings (god knows where).

1) Where can I get a replacement part from (ASAP - Avalanche is on Friday)
    2) Why is the hub making noise? They have only just started to apart from the first time I fitted them. May be because the CV angle is too steep?

I plan on lowering the diff during the week and modifying the exhaust at the same time.

Has anyone else had such problems when lifting their Surf? I feel I'm the only one just now
    Attached Files
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Get a built shaft from a breaker, I did, still running sweet.
    I have Warn manual hubs, had em for ages running steep angle, always been fine, light coat of grease when doing inspection and make sure the muck and water isn't getting in.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

The boot would have to be split or have come away from clip to let the bearings fall out.
      Get new shaft, clean out all the old grease, re-grease and clean out hub as well.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

no i only put bigger tyres on
        and i feked up mi surf that week
        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

I have one, £30 delivered. You should have it by Thursday if you buy it before tomorrow night.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Did you check the inner part of the locking hub spins free when the center bolt is done up, you normally need a couple washers under the big washer when using the AVM's or the hub will drag and still turn the front driveshaft.

If the hubs are unlocked there is no way the driveshaft should move.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for all the tips! Stormforce has been giving me a lot of info as well so thanks mate!!

I went out just now and had the hub all apart. Like Tony says, the shaft sits inwards and doesnt come level with the hub. So yes, when the bolt is done up it drags on the hub and both turn even when unlocked - they just catch every so often. This has only been since putting the rear diff in Just a coincidence I know!
              I have refitted the hub but left the shaft retaining bolt out for now. I will get a few washers to space it out. But in the mean time, can anyone see any negative concequences of driving without the retaining bolt? It fixes the problem completely.

Rich is sending me a shaft, hopefully be here on Wed and we can fit Wed night ready for leaving on Friday
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

like i said Tony i never had the bolts fitted on the end of the shafts all the time i had fwh's fitted and i never had a problem.All i can see that the bolt does is to reduce the play on the d/shaft in and out of the hub
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                  like i said Tony i never had the bolts fitted on the end of the shafts all the time i had fwh's fitted and i never had a problem.All i can see that the bolt does is to reduce the play on the d/shaft in and out of the hub
                  I think so too!
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                  X