Lightforce spots!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightforce spots!!

My sons about to get a pair of these, 6" set, they come out at about £500, looks the kit but well out of my range for spots, (50quid a pair's more like it for me) watched the shotgun tests etc, very impressive, (although if anyone's gonna fire a shotgun at me in my truck i'd rather have a bullet proof screen)
    the looms to wire them is complete but just wondered what a "ballast resistor" does, remember em on the old coil ign systems we used to have before all this ECU shoit, i always thought they were to take current surges and protect the coil, any ideas?
    http://www.devon4x4.com/lightforce-l...-shootout.html
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

there are good lights
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

A ballast resistor is basically a current limiter or regulator.
      Keeps a steady current draw from whatever you connect to it. Example: Replacing indicator lamps with LEDs, a ballast resistor is required to stop them flashing too fast.

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
        there are good lights

There are crap ones too!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          There are crap ones too!
          tiz a juggle

Comment

I guess they must be HID's (High Intensity Discharge) lights then?
            The ballast is used to generate the arc, rather than a glowing filament in normal lights.

Polycarbonate is great for resisting impacts, but it's a bugger for getting scratched. I'd prefer glass for the lense.

I've bought HID kits off of ebay for £35 and fitted them into standard H3 spots and while the beam pattern isn't perfect it's ###### bright!

Regards

TFB

Comment

i can make lights of any kind
              my first real job was making lights of all kinds
              it would not cost that much to make some real bright over the top lights

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                A ballast resistor is basically a current limiter or regulator.
                Keeps a steady current draw from whatever you connect to it. Example: Replacing indicator lamps with LEDs, a ballast resistor is required to stop them flashing too fast.
                Wasn't too far out then vince

they should be good for that money
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I have XGT LightForce lamps fitted to my Surf. I converted them to 55W HIDs with remote ballasts. Conversion cost about £70 the pair and an hour of my time. Perfect pattern and really, really, really bright. Far better than the 4X 130W halogens I had fitted before. About 1/4 the current draw too. I put 55W bi-xenon HIDs in my main lights too, but that may be cause for debate....

220W of HID on main beam rules though.

Comment

Originally posted by davec170 View Post
                    I have XGT LightForce lamps fitted to my Surf. I converted them to 55W HIDs with remote ballasts. Conversion cost about £70 the pair and an hour of my time. Perfect pattern and really, really, really bright. Far better than the 4X 130W halogens I had fitted before. About 1/4 the current draw too. I put 55W bi-xenon HIDs in my main lights too, but that may be cause for debate....

220W of HID on main beam rules though.
                    Hmmm...I might take a look at the XGT then, as I'd prefer a better beam pattern than I get at the moment. I really need more of a flood than spot pattern

Regards
                    TFB

Comment

Working...
                    X